1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

j.stevens A & T Co. apr 17 94 22LR HELP

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by old yankee, Feb 24, 2012.

1. old yankee

old yankee New Member

Hi,
    My name is John and I'm new to this forum...

I would like help identifying the year, exact model, and needed parts to restore this rifle.

I have a j.stevens A & T Co. 22 Long Rifle and on the octagon part of the barrel it has stamped: J.STEVENS A & T CO CHICCPEE FALLS MASS USA PAT APR 1794
    (The barrel length is 22 inches long, the bore is still in fine condition and it fires .22 Long Rifle rim fire cartridges.

The frame has the sn# stamped 1675 under the lever.

The rifle is missing the Take-Down Screw (27B) Assy, the cartridge ejector, and the rear sight assy arm is missing (It looks like it was snapped off).

Does anyone know where I can purchase some of these missing parts or do you know someone who could restore it for me?

I can’t believe I just found this rifle in our attic! I thought It was long gone and would never see it again I used to shoot it with my dad when I was about five yrs old. My dad passed away over forty years ago and I now want to restore it and hang it on my wall. (This rifle is also the first weapon I ever fired).

Your help would be much appreciated!

Please e-mail me with any info,,, stasioc@comcast.net
  2. steve99f

steve99f New Member

You have a very early Stevens "Favorite" based on the barrel patent date of April 17 1894 and the 22 inch octogon barrel. Made between 1894 and 1915.

The source of information for the above is a book titled " Single Shot Rifles and Actions" by Frank de Haas. Probably still available somewhere. Parts breakdowns, schematics.
  3. old yankee

old yankee New Member

Hi Steve,

Thanks much for the reply and info about the single shot rifles book...

I will try to find a copy. I really need some help locating and replacing the missing and damaged parts. Any ideas?
    I think this won't be an easy task..

John
  4. old yankee

old yankee New Member

I have uploaded some pictures of my J. Stevens

Attached Files:

5. steve99f

steve99f New Member

John,

Search for Wisners's, JackfirstGun and Bob's Gunshop in Ark. Bob's is your best bet. Your gun does look like a Favorite. Needs some TLC.
  6. old yankee

old yankee New Member

Thank You for your help... I will look them up. It sure needs some TLC, but not too bad for a lost rifle finally found in the Attic.