J stevens arms double barrel

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Dave3, May 4, 2003.

1. Dave3

Dave3 New Member

(Left side) SPRINGFIELD
    J. STEVENS ARMS COMPANY
    CHICOPEE FALLS, MASS. USA.
    Serial #E768**
    (This is a double Barrel Twelve gauge)

bottom stamp 22 circled
    under forearm D J (Something that appears to be a P and possibley a 7)

I figure this gun is of little value but thought I should check first. Thanks Dave
  2. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

Any markings on the barrels themselves? Also, on the frame you should find a small circle containing a letter and a number...
  3. Dave3

Dave3 New Member

The barrels have "selected forged steel" on one the other "proof tested 12 gauge" The 22 circled is all I see on the frame. that is all I find. The handguard comes off like my citori and the gun comes apart in the same manner. I guess I should ask if I should be shooting this gun. I fired a couple light trap loads out of it and it shot. both triggers work. Somebody did a bad job refinishing the stock. thanks again for your time.
  4. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

As long as it is mechanically sound, you should not have any problems with shooting it.

Value around $200, another $50 if you finish the stock correctly.
  5. Dave3

Dave3 New Member

Wow! I gave forty bucks at a garage sale. I'm glad I ask. Thanks again for your time as I'm sure you are busy also.