J Stevens Pocket Rifle

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by StevensGirl, May 13, 2013.

1. StevensGirl

StevensGirl New Member

Once upon a time I found an old Sears Roebuck catalog image marketing this as a "child's pocket rifle" LOL! As I recall it was dated 1860's but I could be mistaken due to the patent date on the gun. I have had an older gent offer me money for the gun and he is very interested, but I have NO clue what it is worth and do not want either of us to be taken. Here is the info I have and a description along with a couple of pics (sorry the camara on my phone STINKS!!!)

Barrel reads: J STEVENS A & T. CO.
    CHICOPEE FALLS, MASS. J.S.A. PAT SEPT 6 18(64) hard to read

Serial #: 11824 (the four sits slightly lower as if struck at a different time than the rest of the numbers, numbers on bottom of grip and on the stock all match.

Barrel is 12" long, appears to be a .22 as the interior diameter is just barely shy of a 1/4" (hardly even a noticeable amount off)

Both sights are present and in excellent condition. All original hardware (pins, screws and so on) are present. The barrel has a very slight bit of "play" in it side to side when locked in (I think this could be tightened up by merely adjusting the screws, but I don't want to end up scratching it)
    The grip measures aprox 2 1/2" in length and 1 1/2" in width at its widest and appears to be walnut.
    The hammer and trigger are both operational, however I have never had ammo in it. The length of the open stock when attached is 10".
    The overall appearance of the gun is good, there is patina and it is in need of a good thorough cleaning by someone who knows what they are doing as it has been wall art for me for the last 30 years.

Any additional information that can be provided would be phenomenal, please only include pricing for a gun in this condition.

Attached Files:

2. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to TFF, and you have a nice pocket rifle, but there were several models:

If it's the light frame model the frame will be 5/8" wide, or if medium frame 1"

Is the firing pin attached to the hammer or separate (in the frame)?
  3. StevensGirl

StevensGirl New Member

If you are referring to the open stock, the frame of that is only 3/8 wide... if the OD of the barrel is what you mean, it is between 9/16 and 5/8... but closer to 9/16. on the firing pin, there is a small hole with a tiny bit that pokes thru that is attached to the hammer (is that the firing pin? Sorry u start talkin guts and you lost me) ha ha ha
  4. StevensGirl

StevensGirl New Member

looked again, yes that has to be the firing pin attached to hammer because the other peice is the "latch" that hols the barrel in place. OH and if you meant the frame of the gun... just above the grip and behind the hammer in that space the gun is aprox 5/8
  5. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

OK, so firing pin is part of hammer.

And if you measured frame where I think you mean, it's probably the medium frame, which will measure about 1" side to side at widest part below barrel.

Flayderman's Guide lists value range from $475 for Very Good to $1250 for Excellent condition, and yours looks at least Very Good plus.

You are fortunate to have the skeleton stock as many were lost, and value then less than half above figures.

Don't do any cleaning other than wiping down with oil.
  6. StevensGirl

StevensGirl New Member

I am posting a pic showing what I measured for the "widest part below the barrel" it is 3/4" at best. please let me know if this is the space you are talking about.

Attached Files:

7. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Then it's the 5/8" width light frame, Flayderman's value range $550-$1500.
  8. StevensGirl

StevensGirl New Member

thank you sooo very much!!!! I am starting a new thread on an atique shotgun I have... its a beauty! you are great!!!!