J Stevens side by side 5100

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by firefly345, Jul 8, 2011.

1. firefly345

firefly345 New Member

Guys,
    I have a J Stevens 12 gauge shotgun side by side, 30 inch barrels, has a dog, a setter, on left receiver, blue is 80% at least, stocks in excellent shape, no pitting or scratches, two center sight beads. As I am unfamilar with this gun, can anyone tell me the spec's and/or value to place on it.
    thanks,
    Kenny:)
  2. pops42

pops42 New Member

high up on the blue ridge mountains of Va.
    what model is it,is it a 311?
  3. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

In his title he says 5100. The 5100 was dropped in 48. The 311 which is basically the same gun was brought out in 49.
  4. doubleslover

doubleslover Member

From condition described the value will be around the $300.00 mark, give or take once a buyer actually sees it. Does it have any case coloring left or any dents in the barrels? You could get a bit more if in excellent condition but at 80% bluing, this gun is not in that condition.
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  5. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Any 5100 in decent shape is worth 300. I'd say at 80% it would go 400. Maybe more with the engraving and if it has good case colors.
  6. firefly345

firefly345 New Member

Ok guys,
    I don't know what you mean by case colors, unless you are referring to the portion of the gun that the barrels snap into. This guns bluing is uniform through out, I only said at least 80% because it is not dark bluing, I did not know the extent of fade the gun endured over its age. There are no rust or pit marks, the stocks looked as if they were plastic because of the shine, internal barrels are unscathed and very shiny. The one thing I did notice was the extended barrel length, and the engraving which indicated that this was intended as a bird gun. As far as I can see there is no flaws anywhere on this weapon, it is beautiful and was a present from a dear friend who said his grandfather gave it to him calling it a "goose gun". I appreciate the help. As soon as I can figure how to put a digital photograph here I will. Thanks for your patience.
    firefly
  7. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Do a quick google of case bluing and you'll find plenty of examples. Your gun may have been re-blued at some point. The stocks on many 5100's were Tenite, which are indeed plastic, just another trade name for it. As far as adding a pic goes, just click on the paperclip icon, just above the text box. Then upload and post. Pics would greatly help out with giving a good value to the gun.

Hope that helps you some.
  8. doubleslover

doubleslover Member

Yes, the gun in question will be worth more than $300.00 if in very nice condition (as I mentioned). But if it is average, in my area $300.00 is about the going rate. In fact, I have bought two 311A's and two 311H's in the past 4 months, two in 12 gauge and two in 20 gauge. The average condition 12 gauge cost me $200.00 and the highest I paid for the others was $350.00 shipped for one of the 20 gauges. The other 3 I bought all look like they have hardly been shot having full case colors, perfect bluing and almost perfect wood. So area has something to do with what a gun will bring. In fact I am thinking about a 16 gauge also in pretty nice condition for $350.00. But if the OP's gun is very nice, then yes he should be able to get between $400.00-$500.00 possibly in his area. But as mentioned, a couple of pics will show the guns condition and he could very well have a tenite stock.
  9. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

I believe that my Springfeild 5100 was valued at 400 in 16 with tenite stock.
  10. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Yep, that's the receiver. Check out the coloring on the receiver of this one. That's color case hardening. http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=91682