J Young Kentucky Rifle Octagonal Barrel

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by tombrown, Nov 10, 2010.

1. tombrown

tombrown New Member

I have this old J Young Kentucky Rifle , I was wondering if anyone can tell me anything about it and what it is worth. I may be interested in selling it. It has an Octagonal barrel approx 38 inches long. The rifle is 53 inches overall. The firing mechanism is L. Davidson and Co. ? It is .385 approx octagonal bore. J Young is on the barrel. It has one patch opening in the butt. I think it is Tiger Maple stock. It is in good condition.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

My sources show several men named Young as gun makers, but the most likely seems to be Joseph Young of Harpers Run, WV, listed as a maker of full stock percussion rifles. No dates are given, but there is a T. Davidson & Co. listed as a lockmaker in Cincinnati, OH, 1850-1854, which seems about right for your rifle.

If you care to remove the barrel from the stock (very carefully, please) you might find the name of a barrel maker on the bottom. By that time, there were few "whole gun" makers; almost all bought barrels, locks, furniture and semi-inletted stocks and were essentially custom assemblers, like custom gunsmiths today.
    There is a rifle with the Davidson name shown here:

http://www.prices4antiques.com/fire...Lock-Half-Stock-Ohio-355-Caliber-D9944833.htm

but it seems to be of a different style.

Jim
  3. tombrown

tombrown New Member

Here is picture of the J Young. Thanks for you information

Attached Files:

4. ghrit

ghrit New Member