1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

J Young Kentucky Rifle Octagonal Barrel

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by tombrown, Nov 10, 2010.

1. tombrown

tombrown New Member

I have this old J Young Kentucky Rifle , I was wondering if anyone can tell me anything about it and what it is worth. I may be interested in selling it. It has an Octagonal barrel approx 38 inches long. The rifle is 53 inches overall. The firing mechanism is L. Davidson and Co. ? It is .385 approx octagonal bore. J Young is on the barrel. It has one patch opening in the butt. I think it is Tiger Maple stock. It is in good condition.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

My sources show several men named Young as gun makers, but the most likely seems to be Joseph Young of Harpers Run, WV, listed as a maker of full stock percussion rifles. No dates are given, but there is a T. Davidson & Co. listed as a lockmaker in Cincinnati, OH, 1850-1854, which seems about right for your rifle.

If you care to remove the barrel from the stock (very carefully, please) you might find the name of a barrel maker on the bottom. By that time, there were few "whole gun" makers; almost all bought barrels, locks, furniture and semi-inletted stocks and were essentially custom assemblers, like custom gunsmiths today.
    There is a rifle with the Davidson name shown here:

http://www.prices4antiques.com/fire...Lock-Half-Stock-Ohio-355-Caliber-D9944833.htm

but it seems to be of a different style.

Jim
  3. tombrown

tombrown New Member

Here is picture of the J Young. Thanks for you information

Attached Files:

4. ghrit

ghrit New Member