Jack Daniels Moves To Michigan ...... ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JohnHenry, Nov 17, 2011.

1. JohnHenry

JohnHenry Well-Known Member

2. MajorNapalm

MajorNapalm New Member

They probably want to get close to their customers. Save on shipping.
  3. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

It has to do with that fact that their hometown, Lynchburg, TN is supposedly gouging the biggest contributor to the local economy because they think that they can. Obviously, they're liberal economically-inept thinkers who do not comprehend that higher tax rates usually do not equal higher tax revenue. JD should stick it to them and leave entirely! ;) I think that they will move if Lynchburg persists. I'd love it... I'm not a Jack Daniel's fan but I am a huge fan of successful business economic theory and its just application. ;)
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  4. Millwright

Millwright Well-Known Member

A spot on reply ! "Jack's" biggest "ad draw" is "its the water" line ! If they move to Michigan "where's the water" ? Strictly speaking Jack Daniel's isn't a bourbon, its a "sour mash whiskey", so isn't restricted to Bourbon Cty KY, or the 60% corn mash requirement.

I don't see it working myself. Good whiskeys - regardless of where they're brewed - are the compliation of a lot of brewing and environmental factors; water being an important one, but the climate may be even more so ! JD may be able to ship the makings of its aging barrels North, but can it replicate the TN climate it its new home ? Or find the same sorts of hardwoods to make its trademark "charcoal filter" ?

Until they got too expensive I used to be an enjoyer of single malt scotch whiskeys. Each had its own distinctive "nose". The same applies to our own spirits ! >MW
  5. vytoland

vytoland New Member

pour me a jack....i wont talk back:D
  6. geds

geds New Member

Fun fact: Lynchburg is dry so you can't buy JD there!
  7. Chinook

Chinook New Member

Yeah, the water comes form that spring creek thing. It on site at the Lynchburg distillery I believe!

I dont do the JD much anymore, but...like MW already said...Whadda they gonna do 'bout the water!
  8. holyjake79

holyjake79 New Member

All this talk is making me thirsty. I love me a Jack and Coke!
  9. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Jack Daniels Whiskey, Harley Davidson motorcycles, Colt 45 auto pistols... American icons should not be messed with! Jeez! Is nothing sacred!:eek:
  10. Millwright

And you, Sir, are a barbarian !

Good whiskeys are meant to be savored sans the concealing overtures of such syrups as "Coke", Pepsi, etc...... Add water - if you must - ( burbon and branch) sits on the lecturn of the Speaker of the House.

Pressed, I'll admit to adding some ice to my JD libations ! But JD isn't my particular favorite sour mash whiskey either ! Still, (PI), the concept of moving the JD brand north to MI is incomprehensible to real whiskey afficiandos ! IOW, its a TIATP ! >Mech
  11. geds

geds New Member

Amen! If you put Coke in it you might as well put a paper umbrella in it too! ;)
  12. JohnHenry

JohnHenry Well-Known Member

"Good whiskeys are meant to be savored sans the concealing overtures of such syrups as "Coke", Pepsi, etc....."

If you don't enjoy the flavor as it comes from the bottle then you should be drinking something other than what you are.
  13. flintlock

flintlock Well-Known Member

Jack daniels is good, but Rebel Yell is far better. Won't hurt my feelings if Jack moves to Michigan.
  14. Silencer

Silencer Well-Known Member

No bourbon made is restricted to any county, at all. Though, anything labeled "Kentucky" is limited to being made in the state, only. But, that can be said true for "Hawaiian" straight bourbon. However, bourbon is limited to the US, because it's an 'official product of the USA" which means no other country can make and label it "bourbon."

Oh, and Jack Daniels can be labeled as a bourbon, but they would have to stop filtering it through charcoal. This is done to 'flavor' the whiskey, which you can't do, by law, with bourbon. Bourbon can only be aged in virgin oak barrels for flavor, and that's it.
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  15. Millwright

I'll disagree on a number of points.

To be labled "bourbon" the mash must contain at least 60% corn. (BTW, a lot of sugar is added, as well !) The product was named for "Bourbon Cty, KY". And shipping whiskey back to sources of cash money was far easier than shipping corn ! My wife's family traces its heritage back to the "Frese Rebellion" in PA over the Continental Congress's imposition of a tax upon whiskey distilling in western PA.

Technically, JD is a "sour mash" whiskey, which means its a bourbon - thanks to its percentage of corn in the mash - but not neccessarily a "pure" boubon ! The "sour mash" process adds a percentage of the "spent mash" from a previous batch to seed the current batch, just like "sourdough" bread making. But to afficiados, its an entirely different cat !

By U.S. law all bourbon whiskeys must be laid down in new charred oak barrels (A lot of which end up being sold to Scotland after emptying.) and aged for at least four years.

Lots of U.S. history and social science tied up in the making of "corn squeezings" ! >MW
  16. NCIC105

NCIC105 New Member

Yes you can. On distillery property you can buy full bottles...Just can't buy by the drink.
  17. wsas7816

wsas7816 New Member

18. geds

geds New Member

19. geds

geds New Member

Funny thing about the JD distillery is that it is a popular tour for the Boy Scouts - I always missed the trip, so I still (no pun intended) haven't made the tour. I would like to do so though...
  20. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

I don't care what anybody says, I love what a couple of shots of Jack does to a cold pepsi!!!