Jacketed VS plated bullets

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by army mp, Nov 21, 2009.

1. army mp

army mp Member

I load a lot of Jacketed and cast bullets. But in the last year. With the BS of getting components, And finding time to cast .I have been shooting a few Berry bullets. Now I normally only shoot a hundred or so shots, In a session. And always religiously clean the Guns and Barrels afterwards. But started thinking. With the plated Bullets. Do you think they would promote, Excessive copper fouling. As they are plated and a soft bullet. Now I know they are not meant to be shot above mid-range loads. And I have not noticed any problems. Just a thought.
  2. res45

res45 New Member

Haven't had that problem myself or have I heard of anyone else mention it that shoots Berry's plated bullets. I shoot the 115 & 124 gr. 9mm bullets up around 1100 fps. with no problems there rated to 1200 fps.
  3. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

+1. I've had great success with Berry plated bullets. I use plated bullets all winter. I've never had a problem with copper fouling.
  4. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I have shot Rainier Plated Bullets for at least 15 years in almost every handgun caliber you can think of. I shoot them at regular velocities, like 1100 FPS for 115 gr 9mm bullets or 800+ FPS for 230 gr 45ACP bullets or 1000 FPS for 158 gr 357 bullets. They never leave lead in the barrel and I have never seen any copper fouling even though I don't use copper cleaning solvents.

Their advantages are:

no lead buildup in the barrel

acceptance at some indoor ranges that want no lead exposed bullets to minimize lead dust in the air

They are cheaper than jacket bullet but more expensive than bulk cast lead bullets

LDBennett
  6. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Ditto LD's post. Plated bullets big advantages are as he listed.

Copper fouling isn't a real issue wiht plated compared to jacketed bullets (or more closely compared, even the copper-washed bullets as used in plated .22LR ammo which are just plated lead too).

Regular cleaning solvents will be fine for plated or jacketed bullets in typical handgun calibers, no need to go with one of the specialized copper solvents.
    Those copper solvents are mainly brewed up to clean copper fouling out of high-velocity rifle barrels as opposed to the lower velocities you'll see in a handgun cartridge. 3000-4000fps will leave a lot more copper fouling in a barrel from friction than 700-1000fps will.
  7. davem

davem New Member

ive just started shooting some rainier and beerys 200gr flatnose bullets in my 45 acp springfield loaded and havent had any fouling problems so far, only couple hundred rounds so far but so far so good. also loaded up some 125gr for my wifes 38sp. got real good accuracy with those also. ditto on the accuracy for the 45 acp.
  8. army mp

army mp Member

Small world , Hi neighbor ( Davem ) I live just down 66 from you.
    I too have not seen a proble with the Berry Bullets. It was just a thought with them being soft and plated.
    I have been hearing some complaints about those cast bullets that have that Black hard coating on them. Guys are starting to complain, that black stuff is hard to get out of the Barrel. They may be pushing them to fast. I don’t think it’s a molly coat, From what guys have said its almost like a hard plastic. I have Never shot any. And don’t know much about them. But was wondering. Now that a lot of Guys are shooting the Berry. If a problem was starting to Appear. They are cheap enough and load up nice.
  9. Ammohoe

Ammohoe New Member

there are low velocity bullets that are flash plated, but there are the heavier plated bullets for higher velocity loads like the Federal Fussion line or the Extreme bullets used in the USAammo line
  10. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

I use jacketed, plated and lead in 40 S&W. If they are hard enough you can run them pretty hot and not have any problems if everything else is good.
    I keep plated and lead below 1,000 FPS and have had no problems with leading or fouling.
    I have used Berry's bullets and find them to be very good.