jacketed vs plated vs xtp

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by fluffie, May 11, 2012.

1. fluffie

fluffie New Member

I no theirs a difference between all three but what exactly are they I've used all three and I think I like the hornady xtps personally.
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

the xtp is a hollow point jacketed bullet, so I will try to explain the difference between the jacket did and plated bullets. A jacketed bullet has 2 components that are forced together under pressure, the core and the gilding metal jacket. a plated bullet is plated via some form of electrical bonding. A plated bullets has a much thinner layer than a jacket. most plated bullet manufacturer's recommended using lead data for loading.
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

in regards to the xtp bullets, they are hornadys hollow point design. typically they are a little bit heavier in the base than other hollow points, that is why sometimes there is specific xtp data for some loads. I like the xtp also.
  4. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

As woolley pointed out there are only two basic types of bullet here. Jacketed and plated as the XTP is nothing more than a Jacketed bullet with a hollow point.

XTP are great bullets and are very accurate, spensive too. Jacketed (accurate) hollow point bullets can be had at a fraction of the cost of the XTP. They will not have the same terminal performance as the XTP but they will shoot just as accurately at the range. Shoot the cheap one for practice and the XTP when performance counts.

Get em while you can, cuz they are out of stock most of the time.
    http://www.rozedist.com/mm5/merchan...D&Product_Code=R124-A&Category_Code=ZBJ-45ACP
  5. fluffie

fluffie New Member

OK I got the concept that's good to no woolleyworm u said the xtps are heavier in the back will it make the round hotter then a plated HP I have reloaded both the xtps and Rainier hps both in. 38spl with 4.0 grains of powder and the xtps made a big boom and seemed like a hot round it shot very good but the Rainiers were no where near the same power
  6. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Any Hollow point will be heavier at the back end as the tip has a hole in it. Will that make one hollow point "hotter" then another? NO! Will one bullet have different load characteristics than another of similar design and same weight, maybe.

What powder (4.0gr) and what OAL?
  7. fluffie

fluffie New Member

not sure on the oal but the powder is imr 700x ive also got some imr 4225 i think it is not sure without looking but the load data was calling for like 10.0 in that area and i did not like the powder it didnt seem to all burn for my loads and it would even get to the point that after about 30 rnds fired it would even start jaming upthe hammer and cylender on my 686 so i changed to the 700x but other then the jaming everything elce seemed ok with teh 4225 im positave i did not double charge any of them i measure every charge for every round just to be on the safe side takes a little more time but its worth the time for not having a accident
  8. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Whoa, hold on there Fluffie, one big run on sentence with no punctuation or capital letter? Makes it very difficult to read and comprehend.

Not sure what you are saying here with the IMR powder. I assume you mean IMR 4227, not 4225. Where did you get your IMR 4227 data from? What weight bullet are you loading?
  9. fluffie

fluffie New Member

Sorry steve i was in a hurry. yes i checked it and you are right it is imr 4227. I havent used that powder for in a while i was just stating that i had some. I am using the imr 700x for the stuff that im reloading now. which is the xtps and the plated rainiers. My load data is coming from the lee reloading manual for thr 125g rainiers that i have safe loads are from 3.9 to 4.1 according to the manual. i dont remember exactly off the top of my head without looking but the safe loads for the xtps were like 3.7 to 4.2. i do remember for xtps it was no more then 4.2. I have been reloading both at 4.0 if that helps. When i was using the imr 4227 it called somewhere in the 10.0 range and i was having a problem with the powder not all burning and it was jaming up my hammer and cylender on my s&w 686 and my dads model 19 s&w so i stoped using it.
  10. mikld

mikld Active Member

The IMR 4227 is too slow for the .38 Special. IMR 700 is better, but my favorites are the old stand-bys Unique, Universal, Bullseye, and W231...
  11. fluffie

fluffie New Member

Thats a good thing to no. I tryed to figure out why it was doing that and mikld that makes all the sence in the world. The next time i buy powder I will try the ones you suggested. I have about a pound and a half of the 700x right now and about 3ozs of the 4227 left but i stoped using it over a year ago.