The Firearms Forum banner

Jackpot 1911 or NOT?

Tags
4K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  TheGunClinger 
#1 ·
I just inherited a Colt 1911 and I'm trying to get an honest value on it, and maybe an education on Colt pistols, as I've been Sig Sauer fan for a long time!

I'ver been insulted one too many times by "the locals", so I'm turning to you guys, the experts, lol!

All that I know is that, according to the serial #, it was manufactured in 1912, and it's nickel plated (probably not original, but is nice), and it's in, what I consider 60% condition, or better!

As the story goes, my grandfather was in WW2, and after the war, he purchased "his" Colt 1911 for a mere $12, and for extra $8 bucks, had it transfered legally! True or not, can't really say, just going by what grandma told me. The pistol does have an "AA" stamped on the left side, just above the trigger guard, if this helps!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Not much original on the colt. The collector value was ruined with the refinish and it has all kinds of aftermarket parts on it. It might be a shooter...I would guess its value to be around 550.00-600.00 or so. Shoot it and enjoy!

#4 · (Edited)
The "AA" indicates it was rebuilt at Augusta (GA) Arsenal during WWII. The story is highly unlikely; military personnel were not allowed to purchase their issue firearms. Still, it matters not at this point.

FWIW, I think the slide stop, safety, mainspring housing, and grip safety may be original, or at least they are of the 1911 type; I can't tell about the hammer. The grips are not original, of course.

In any case, its colllector value has been destroyed by the chrome plating.

Jim

#5 ·
No where near an "expert",just a 1911 nut...I think the bad refinish job has destroyed collector value.A guy I buy parts from has a single digit Singer that someone nickeled and modified....he cried when he found out how much it was worth bone stock....He paid $900 in the 70s.

#6 ·
Pretty much all has been said about the refinish job. It ruined the collector value.
Being an arsenal refurb might explain the non-1911 hammer (it's a 1911A1 hammer with the narrow spur if I see the pics right), but I'd suspect it, the slide stop, safety and grips were probably replaced later to make it functional.

It's a shooter, so go ahead and take it to the range & enjoy it.

Your grandpa might have purchased it surplus after the war, but as Jim posted, it wasn't purchased from the government. Or if it was his issue 1911 maybe he just "dufflebagged" it and got the tale out that it was purchased. :) Hard to tell, and it's too bad you can't go back in time and ask him.

#8 ·
What do you think its worth Jim?

#13 ·
You would be surprised how many people will pay a little more because of the colt name....I agree it has been defaced...

#15 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the helpful info! I'm more of a Sig Sauer fan myself, whatever it sells for is 100% profit, so can't go wrong there. My son is in his second year in the Navy on the 6 year tour (hope he stays in), and wants a Sig 226 NAVY model, maybe I'll sell the Colt, and put it towards the Sig! Thanks Again.

#17 ·
Told you some folks will pay for the colt name...but I have to say, you found someone who didnt know what he was buying......oh well, good for you!

#18 ·
I cant believe you sold your grandfathers 1911.. Guess im just a sentimental guy.

#19 ·
I cant believe you sold your grandfathers 1911.. Guess im just a sentimental guy.
I would feel the same way josh, if the gun werent so pieced together...

#21 ·
As the story goes, my grandfather was in WW2, and after the war, he purchased "his" Colt 1911 for a mere $12, and for extra $8 bucks, had it transfered legally! True or not, can't really say, just going by what grandma told me. The pistol does have an "AA" stamped on the left side, just above the trigger guard, if this helps

I coulda swore you said you inherited it from your grandfather.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.