Jack's turkey load

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by warpig, Mar 25, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

Hey Jack I saw your turkey load. Looks about like my magnum pheasant load. Mine is 1 1/4 oz of #4 shot in a 2 3/4".

You are using 1 1/2 oz of shot. Is that a 3" hull?

What wad are you using, the Win red?

That Blue Dot does make a bang doesn't it.
  2. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan New Member

That's in a 2.75 hull. Red Win. wad.

I'll look it all over again and put up specifics if anyone else is gonna try these. I only made up two so far.

I just bought a cheap Mossberg that will handle the 3 inch shells prior so I'm still in the trying to pack 2 ounces in a 1 once bag situation if ya know what I mean. Before a couple days ago all I had would only handle the smaller shells.
  3. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan New Member

Here's the plain facts;

New Mossberg Turkey gun with their turkey choke. 3 inch or 2 3/4 shells. Plain bead sights.

Vs

Old reliable.
    Remington trap gun. Replacement plastic camo stocks from Remington. Turkey full choke tube from Remington. Those little snap on the rib fiber optic sights. Not adjustable, lucky it's a Remington and won't need it.

Reload 2 3/4 inch trap hulls. Red wads say they'll hold up to 1 7/8 once of shot.

Lee Load all bushing .171 - Blue dot
    1 1/2 oz bushing with #4 shot.

Here's the result at 25 yards one shot each. (tried the mossberg first just in case it blew up the gun)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2003
  4. warpig

warpig Guest

That is the same load I use for pheasant except for the shot. The red wads do make it nice for stuffing large amounts of shot in those 2 3/4" shells.

I use the winAA hulls and if I remember right they are about full at 1 1/4 oz. I will have to load one with 1 1/2 oz once. Do you have problems with keeping the crimp with 1 1/2 oz?

What I liked was your patterns. Mine are not that tight but I have not tried them out of a turkey choke either.
  5. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan New Member

I've only loaded two but they looked pretty tight. One closed up real nice the other looked like it was barely holding. These were green rem hulls. I might try some AA to see if it makes a difference. I hate to mix the colors if it doesn't help. I use the AA for trap loads and green or anything else for hunting loads.

I've been loading a few slugs. You ever try that?