Jager AP-74 Feed Question

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Old Gun Guy, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

Hello again!
    I recently took my Jager AP-74 to the range for the first time since I bought it used. It would not feed any .22 ammo I tried. I took it back home and I cleaned it real good, and polished the feed ramp. Upon trying to feed a live round (not recommended), I noticed that they would feed correctly, (both lead and jacketed rounds), but the bottom of the throat was shaving a small part of the bullet off when it fed. I tried to determine if it was the magazine's fault, or should the bottom of the throat have a smooth "trough" (for lack of a better word), instead of the very sharp edge it has now.
    I know that there are AP-74 owners and shooters on this forum, so any help you can give me would be certainly appreciated!
    Thanks in advance!
    Old Gun Guy
  2. Charlie the sniper

Charlie the sniper New Member

England, thats the USN aircraft carrier near europ
    I had feed problems with my 74, until someone told me to lube the buffer tube in the stock. I use ATF fluid (automatic transmission fluid). And use high velocity ammo. My magazine plate sits flush.

Here is a good website for Jager AP 74's.

http://www.freewebs.com/socal_webshooters/jager_ap-74.htm
  3. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

Charlie,
    Thanks for the info! I read about lubing the recoil spring, but how could that affect how the nose of the bullet enters the barrel throat? When you say your magazine plate sits flush, is it level or angled upwards toward the barrel throat?
    Old Gun Guy
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

When any semi-auto magazine fed gun drags the bullet on the lower edge of the chamber it is the normally the fault of the magazine's lips. Adjusting them usually alleviates the problem.

Magazines hold the ammo below the centerline of the bore in the top of the magazine. The bolt comes along and pushes the cartridge out of the mag and into the chamber. The lips control the angularity of the cartridge and the "aim" of the bullet into the chamber. Adjusting the front of the lips of the magazine to point the nose ever so slightly up might alleviate the problem. But I have found magazine adjusting is more art than science, at least for me. It might be easier to just try a different magazine.

The edge of the chamber need to be as sharp as possible to give the 22 case as much support as possible. If rolled over to aid feeding, the 22 cases tend to bulge into the area of missing metal, which can lead to all kinds of other problems, like extraction problems or even blowouts and split cases. Even just breaking the edge of the chamber will not stop shaving of the bullet as the lead bullet is extremely soft. Getting the magazine working right is the real cure, in my opinion.

LDBennett
  5. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

Thanks LD!
  6. stratemeyerjw

stratemeyerjw New Member

my jager AP 74 is doing the exact same thing. I just bought it and i cant get it to feed a single round. It makes it about a quarter of the way into the throat and gets stuck. I would really appreciate anyone's help on this issue. I cleaned the gun and lubed the spring like suggested. I also tried bending the lips on the end of the magazine with no luck. Any other ideas?