Jager AP80-22LR

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Old Soldier, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Old Soldier

Old Soldier New Member

I need a some info on a rifle the Jager AP80-22LR! What it's history is,where can I get parts for them, maybe some sort of manual / Illustred parts break down list something for it, value on the open market, or any other particulars available evebn a contact for the manufacturer ( Mitchell Arms Anaheim Ca.). I'm trying to edcuate myself on this but all I'm coming up with is nothing but dead-ends. I know someone out there is knowledgeable on this topic; help a guy outwith some info!
    Best Regards.
  2. SGVictor

SGVictor Member

I am not familiar with your rifle but Mitchell Arms is out of business. Mitchell was not a manufacturer but rather a marketer of guns manufactured for them with their name, Mitchell on the guns.

Don Mitchell was a vice president of marketing or sales for Colt. then became President of High Stadnard abut 1972 and lef there to become president of Ithaca about 1975. It Startes a Mitchell Arms in Ithaca , NY and later moved to southern California. retaining teh Mitchell Arms name. Presently there is a Mitchell's Mausers company in California.. I do not knw the relationship oof this company to the earlier company but I believe that Don Mitchell is affiliated with this new company. You might contact Mitchells mausers and see if they can help.
  3. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Old Soldier.......welcome to TFF. :)

This isn't gonna be an easy one. I don't find the AP80 listed in either the Blue Book or the Standard Catalog of Firearms, but by letting my fingers do the walking thru the internet ( http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GWYA,GWYA:2005-39,GWYA:en&q=Jager AP80 ) it appears that the AP80 is similar to the AK-22.

Apparently the AP80 was a .22 rimfire version of the AK-47, manufactured in Italy by Armi Jaeger and imported by Mitchell Arms, which, as luck would have it, is now out of business.....but you probably already know that.

As for value on the open market, here's a listing on GunsAmerica.....the guy was asking $375 for it. Don't know if the AP80 and the AK-22 are the same gun, but the Standard Catalog of Firearms lists the AK-22 at:

Exc. - $200
    V.G. - $150
    Good - $125

Blue Book values are similar.

Sorry Old Soldier, that's the best this Old Sailor can do for you.....:confused:
  4. Old Soldier

Old Soldier New Member

For starters your the first one back with any kind of solid info. I know my guns but not much on their history or manufacturers.
    Here's my question: The firing pin is worn down so much it needs to be replaced cant find a part for it. Yes your correct, it is almost identical to an AK-22., I wonder if any parts are interchangable. I would also like another banana clip for it, but I could live without it! I've been lucky and haven't needed a gunsmith ogt here, do you thiunk one could fabricate one inexpensively. Ball park what do you think a f/pin might run approx?
  5. Old Soldier

Old Soldier New Member

Thanks you guys have given ne some leads to work with I need to find afiring pin or a good smith to make me one! I will checkw/ Mitchell Mauser see if that leads anywhere!
  6. stash247

stash247 New Member

OLD SOLDIER, welcome, to our roost!
    Being as you are a close neighbor, here's a one time good deal!
    Call me, at 210-736-4221 (work), or 210-215-2323 (cell) and we will make what you need, likely from better stock, than the original, assuming you are tolerant of demanding dogs!
    I am in San Antonio, and have a full machine shop at my disposal, so parts need not be a problem.
    Terry
  7. Old Soldier

Old Soldier New Member

Hey Terry,
    I live in a small town called Wimberley so were not so far away from each other. that sounds like a great deal what side of San Antonio is your shop located? We moved from the DFW area a few years ago, after 25 years! I'm not real good with San Antonio. but I'm sure I could find it. I do a 9-5 in south Austin. I'm A Carpenter at the present, back in Dallas I restored Antiques for 20 years. Now I've lost all my contacts and accounts. so I start all over again in a better location. Let's see about getting together on this, and let me know how much!
    Best Regards,
    Mark Schwend.
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2007
  8. Old Soldier

Old Soldier New Member

Thanks for Mitchell Mauser but it wound up a dead end or that's what they say!
    Appreciate all your info though at least I know a little bit more about it!
  9. Old Soldier

Old Soldier New Member

Terry,
    After our very brief phone call I could tell that you were mad at me and barely said two words! I have figured out why you've not been returning my calls for almost a month. For some reason of which I'm not sure of, you are pissed off at me.
    I've gone 6 or 7 years not being able to use this gun and when someone makes a generous offer such as yours the last thing in the world I'm gonna do is intentionally make that someone mad at me. Since apparently I have please except my sincere apology and know that I will not bother you ever again.Sorry to have been an inconvienence to you.
    Mark Schwend.
  10. Bigjim2

Bigjim2 New Member

Have a drawer of parts here in NZ including 3 new magazines
    jimsmith@paradise.net.nz
  11. skindog

skindog New Member

hey bigjim cant seem to do email here i need some of those ap80 parts (complete bolt assembly plus cover,rear link srews,safety screw.mags and mag parts, rear stock)hope u can help me thanks much
  12. Bigjim2

Bigjim2 New Member

http://www.freewebs.com/socal_webshooters/files/MitchellArms_AK22_AP80.pdf copy of manual

Still have some parts here

jimsmith@paradise.net.nz
  13. skindog

skindog New Member

hjuilllll
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2010