Jap 99

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by transplanted texan, Dec 7, 2008.

1. transplanted texan

transplanted texan New Member

I have a jap 99 and it looks as if the person responsable for grinding the mum was in a hurry as it looks as though it was a bump and gone to the next. Is there any diffrence in value for a fully gone mum to just a small grind with most of the mum untouched?
  2. SW44Mag

SW44Mag New Member

I have one with the mum completely ground off. I don't think it matters whether the mum is partially or completly gone. The soldier who owned it, scratched it off because he was goinging to be captured thereby preventing dishonor from having the symbol fall into surrender. The mum meant it was property of the Emperor. The prices of those rifles ranges from about $250 - $400. I personally haven't seen any for sale for more than that price, even with the mum intact. I would imagine that if the rifle were in excellent condition, it might be worth more.

Here is a site that will tell you the meaning of the other markings on your rifle.

http://www.radix.net/~bbrown/japanese_markings.html
  3. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

i doubt the mum was ground off by a soldier i would rather guess it was ground off after the war because it was a requirement. a soldier grinding it off would be a disgraceful act even from a beaten people, 400 dollars would be for one in excellent condition and it would have to have the anti-aircraft mono-pod still intact.and have a mum intact. top sollar arounf here would be 250 to 300
  4. eka

eka New Member

Oscarmayer's dead on. The mums were ordered ground by Gen. MacArthur as a concession to the Japanese government. It was designed to allow the Emperior to save face. Some mums are deeply ground and some are merely struck through with a line or two. I have not observed prices varying based on the severity or lack there of regarding the defacing of the mum. From what I have seen the rifle is priced on the mum being intact or not. As far as my personal preference, I personally would prefer a mum with a scratch or two through it as apposed to deeply ground. By far and away, most will have the mum completely ground.

Keith