Japanese Arisaka Type 99 - 7.7x58mm caliber

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by SW44Mag, May 1, 2008.

1. SW44Mag

SW44Mag New Member

My dad was a USMC veteran of WWII and brought home Japanese Arisaka Type 99 rifle. It is missing the sight at the end of the barrel and needs a new spring for the firing pin. Does anyone know where I can find these items? I've looked on the Internet, but haven't had any luck. I'm not planing on firing it, but I'd like it to be in working condition. Any help would be appreciated.
  2. pawn

pawn Active Member

3. Dan70

Dan70 Member

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  4. SW44Mag

SW44Mag New Member

Thanks pawn & Dan70. I appreciate the information. Now I can get the rifle back in it's original condition.
  5. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

6. djohns6

djohns6 New Member

Try Ebay ( yes , they still sell gun parts ) or that firearms auction site . PM me for the name .
    Last edited: May 4, 2008
  7. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Try http://www.ssporters.com/

They generally have everything you need for surplus parts, but you have to call them, and they are so early 20th Century in their "systems....":p

The order is handwritten and a carbon copy of the invoice (how often do you see THEM anymore?:D) is even included in the shipment.

That said, I have dealt with them many times, the guys on the phone know their stuff, shipping is reasonable and quick, and more often than not, when the other guys like Sarco and Numrich are "out of stock,: they'll have it.

Actually, here is the link directly to their Arisaka page: http://www.ssporters.com/parts/JAPM38 99.htm
    Last edited: May 6, 2008
  8. SW44Mag

SW44Mag New Member

Thank you all for your input. I was able to get all the necessary parts from e-gunparts.com and the assembly instructions for the bolt from surplusrifle.com. It is now in its original working condition. From the markings; the chrysanthemum was filed off, meaning it was a surrendered weapon and the markings tell me it was manufactured by Kokura Arsenal between 1939-1945. The serial # is 62965 with a 25 series number character. The identical serial number is on all appropriate parts; receiver, bolt and firing pin. Though 100,000 rifles were produce in most series of this rifle, only 92,000 were produced in the #25 series.
    It was very interesting reading all the information about this rifle. Thanks again for all your input.
    Last edited: May 7, 2008