1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Japanese Arisaka Type 99

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Buford Allen, May 18, 2004.

1. Buford Allen

Buford Allen New Member

My dad owns a Japanese Arisaka Type 99 in 7.7x58mm. It and the one that my dad's older brother have, were brought here by my grandpa at the end of World War II. They are battle field captured and still have the crysanthamum emblem stamped in the receivers. The one my dad has is in "shooter grade" condition. I would like any info as to what these rifles might possibly be worth and if there is any 7.7x58mm ammo out there.

My dad's has full wood nearly to the end of the barrel, not unlike that of the Mauser type rifles.

My uncle's has shorter front wood that is somewhat sporty but I believe that it has had no modifications. This one also has a wire bipod that is attached to the front and flips up to attach to the front wood.

These rifles are family heirlooms and hung on the wall in my Grandmothers house as long as I can remember, until she passed away and then they became my dad's and his brother's.
  2. p3skyking

p3skyking New Member

Buford,
    The Japanese started making 99's around 1938 or so. Several arsenals on the Japanese archapeligo plus Jinsen in Korea made them. Many different variations, more than 30 actually.

Having the mum is a plus. Not being sporterized is a major plus. It is hard setting a value on them as some folks think they're all crap and others don't. The earlier, the better as finishing was better. Some people flip over last ditch weapons. Your local enconomy pretty much sets the price, but I would value them at $150 plus.

Norma makes good ammo and any reloader can turn brass out of 3006 for the Arisaka.

Best,
    Mike
  3. Dan70

Dan70 Member

You can find brass and ammo at grafs
  4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

The quality of Type 99s varied greatly depending on when they were made. The pre-war and early WWII ones were very nicely made and finished.....those made late in the war were poorly finished and quite crude.

Here are the values from latest "Standard Catalog of Military Firearms":

Arisaka Type 99 Short Rifle (26" barrel)

Exc. - $175
    V.G. - $140
    Good - $100
    Fair - $80

Add 15% for monopod

Arisaka Type 99 Long Rifle (31.4" barrel)

Exc. - $500
    V.G. - $400
    Good - $300
    Fair - $100

Add 30% for monopod

Deduct 30% if Mum stamping is ground off
  5. njretcop

njretcop New Member

Xracer,

Your book is no guide to the ACTUAL price being paid for Arisaka's now.

An Arisaka in excellent condition with the mum intact, matching numbers, cleaning rod, dust cover, and aircraft sights can fetch over 400.00.

I currently have three Arisaka's, an early, mid and late war version.

As you stated, the "last ditch" one is probably the most valuable.