Japanese last ditch

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by yardbird, Sep 11, 2012.

1. yardbird

yardbird New Member

I have 4 of these and guess it is time to unload some. Kokura series 25..3 have Mums and three match..think will sell a couple, what may I ask are these going for ?...Roy

Attached Files:

2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

$40 for the non-mum and depending on cosmetic condition, $70 for the others if they are true last ditch and unfireable. Not much value in the last ditch models.

Hows Whidbey Island these days? I used to do contact work out there and grew up in Darrington. W.I. is one beautiful place. Pass lake used to be my go to spot to get away snd relax.
  3. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Member

4. woolleyworm

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I have to agree with Buffalochip. But why non-fireable? I know those "last ditch" rifles fairly well and have not seen any I would be afraid to fire. I still own one and have fired it quite a bit (200 rounds or so) with no problems; in fact it is very accurate, givng about a 1 1/2" group at 100 yards. If we had had to invade Japan and faced determined people armed with those rifles, a lot of Ameicans would have died.

Note that this does NOT apply to the true "last ditch" rifles, like the ones chambered for the 8mm pistol cartridge, and certainly not to the training rifles, which are often confused with and called "last ditch" rifles.

Jim
  6. woolleyworm

I will not trust my life to what a country does in the last effort of a war. there is no way to tell what the Japanese were pouring into those guns in the end. I like arisakas and the early models are very good guns. I don't find any value in guns that were pumped out with complete disregard for quality and workmanship. the OP had stated that these were " last ditch". hopefully he will post some more information as I had asked; this will help determine if they are true last ditch or not.
  7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The rifles pictured are the kind normally called "last ditch". To anyone familiar with the Type 99, there are obvious shortcuts in manufacturing, like leaving the rough weld on the bolt cap rather than machining the normal serrations, and leaving some of the left side unfinished. But I have seen dozens like them and they are all (IMHO) serviceable and safe to fire. As to quality and workmanship, I will note that '03A3 Remingtons and Smith-Coronas are not exactly the acme of the gunmaker's art.

Jim
  8. yardbird

yardbird New Member

Thanks guys for the replies...Guess for those prices I will just let them hang on the wall. I do think they might draw more up here. some have been up there for 40 years. At one time collected them, still have about 50. They do match and with Mums. Two are only 522 numbers off each other..Whidbey...schooled here married here (64 years ago) little place on the beach 52 years. Texas there in 1945 Army..did not go back.. Roy
  9. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I was at NSB Bangor from 88-90....I loved WA state....:D
  10. Detroit-1

Detroit-1 Member

I have many so called last ditch Type 99's. I have shot them all. I love it when people say they are unsafe to shoot it just makes it cheaper for me to buy! Up here in Wisconsin a matching, with unsanded stock, and a full mum, series 25 would be worth around 250.00 to 300.00.
  11. yardbird

yardbird New Member

Thanks guys for the replies..We have a little show here in a few week, and I will go for the $300.00 and stuff one of my bayonets on it. time wiil tell...Roy
  12. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Member

Good luck--there were several stages of "last ditch" rifles and yours apear to be finished one of the earlier versions with the egg-shaped bolt knobs. By the way, I believe it was the NRA that tested the strength of the Type 99 Arisakas and they are one of the strongest military actions ever made.
  13. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

P.O. Ackley did the work on military action strength. He tested them all and the Arisaka's were the strongest of all.. Tripple heat treatment and clean base steel are what he thought was resopncible. JFYI.

Regards, Kirk
  14. yardbird

yardbird New Member

OK guys!! took one in and it sold. $280.00 ..had a few handguns and they went fast...seems like they are the best sellers..Roy