Japanese Rifle

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by wng-2, Aug 19, 2010.

1. wng-2

wng-2 Member

I just picked up this JAPanese rifle from someone I know for short money. From what I can figure out through
    A website that my cousin provided me, it is a Type 38, model of 1905, the first of three listed on the site.
    My Uncle had a JAPanese rifle that he let me use to hunt with when I was a boy. I remember the safety being the same as the
    Those on the rifles listed on the website. Long time ago, never thought I’d see a similar rifle again.
    The stock has obviously been cut. I guess my questions are: First, Have I identified it correctly? Should I try and find some ammo for it?
    6.5mm? The website states 6.5 Japanese Caliber?? Secondly, how much should I ask for should I try to sell it? Or should I just put in the
    The closet? Here is the link I was referring to.
    http://www.castle-thunder.com/model.htm

As always, thanks in advance.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    Well, first off, yours is a bit rarer than most. It still has the Emperial Chrysanthemum on the receiver. This could indicate it was a WWII bring-back by a soldier or a very early surplus rifle. Most Jap rifles had the flower ground off during the Occupation before being sold here as surplus. While it appears to be 100% mechanically (a little hard to tell from the pictures), sadly someone "sporterized" the stock for hunting.

A Type 38 Arisaka in 6.5 Jap with an intact Chrysanthemum in 100% original condition would be a collector's dream. However, it's value may increase if it were set into and original stock and hardware. Only our fellow Jap militaria collectors would be able to answer that.
  3. wng-2

wng-2 Member

Indeed, the “MUM” is intact. I was told this came from a Jap in the battlefield. Certainly a bummer the stock was cut….
    I’m just not sure where I should go from here….
  4. valbehaved

valbehaved Member

This being a standard rifle, it would not be worth investing money into the correct stock, etc...
    Basically a very nice "shooter" with history.
    Enjoy it.
  5. wng-2

wng-2 Member

Should I bother trying to find ammunition? Approximately how old is this rifle?

[​IMG]
  6. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

ammo can still be found, one source i know of off the top of my head is old western scrounger www.ows.com ?
  7. valbehaved

valbehaved Member

or try MrNambu - you can google his name. He usually sells on AuctionArms and makes a fantastic product.
  8. zb338

zb338 New Member

I may very well be wrong, but I heard that Old Western Scrounger
    is out of business. Anyone know for sure?

Zeke
  9. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

as of last week when i called them they were in business
  10. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    You are correct in saying it's a Type 38. On the side it should have some characters and the SN. Japanese rifles aren't that desirable. Nothing like Mausers, Garands, or even SMLEs. I have a 1st series Nagoya Type 99, with MUM, anti-aircreaft sights and cleaning rod. It'd probably fetch $150/200. Too bad it's been cut. TJ
  11. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    oscarmayer, saddly Old Western Scrounger is no longer in business. :(

wng-2, you could always join the ranks of us who reload. Brass, dies, bullets and recipes are widely available.
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2010