Japanese-used foreign weapons

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Francis C. Allan, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Francis C. Allan

Francis C. Allan New Member

I am in the process of writing a short book covering Japanese-used weapons of foreign manufacture during the 1850-1900 period. I am looking for details, especially Japanese applied markings used on rifles and pistols from that time period. In return for ithe nformation I can usually translate markings that have been applied to them.

I have information on numerous S&W Model 2s, S&W Model 3s (designationed "No. 1 Model Top Break Handgun" by the Japanese!), Hopkins & Allen X.L. 3 revolvers, Enfield rifles, etc. However I need a lot more information before I can make the project viable.

I would appreciate any help that the forum's members' can provide.

Frank

Francis C. Allan
    20 Courtney Place
    Palm Coast, FL 32137
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Frank......welcome to TFF. :)

WOW! Fascinating subject.

This may (or may not) help: http://www.jstor.org/pss/3103204

Also, have you tried to contact the Japanese Embassy in Washington, DC or the Japanese Consulate in Miami:

Consulate-General of Japan in Miami
    (Area served: Florida)
    Consulate-General of Japan
    Brickell Bay View Centre, Suite 3200
    80 SW 8th Street
    Miami FL 33130-3047
    Tel: 305-530-9090
    Fax: 305-530-0950
    Email: cgjmia@cofs.net
    http://www.miami.us.emb-japan.go.jp

Maybe their Information Officer could steer you onto some sources either here in the U.S. or in Japan.
  3. Francis C. Allan

Dear Xracer;

Thank you for the tip. I have purchased a copy of the article, although I am having trouble printing it for some reason. The subject sounds right along the lines that I am following.

I hope that other readers can provide specific examples of the weapons in question. Lets see how it goes. I have about fifty identified thus far.

Frank
  4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Frank....if you contact the Japanese Embassy or the Consulate in Miami, perhaps the Military Attche could provide you with some info or sources.
  5. Francis C. Allan

Over my thirty plus years of reseaching Japanese weapons, I have found that most consular officials, while well intentioned, know very little about weapons and their history. I have contacts in several Japanese police agencies also. However, even there history is not a big part of their concerns.

My specific need is individual weapons brought home to the U.S. by returning veterans. These are almost invariably marked with government registration information and that is what I am looking for help with.

Thanks for your interest and suggestions.

Frank

P.S. - I "purchased" the article you mentioned on line but even though I have Adobe it just will not down load past page 1. Any ideas?