Japanese WWII Rifle

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by begebers, Jun 21, 2011.

1. begebers

begebers New Member

Hello. This is a WWII japanese rifle. I believe that it is a Arisaka type 99. I am not sure so please correct me if I am wrong. It has the anti-aircraft sights, bayonette, and a mono pod. I would like to know more about the model information and how much it is worth and if it is a collectors item of some sort.

Attached Files:

2. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

Yes, it is a Type 99 ($275-325) with ground off "mum" (i can't spell crysanthemum), which is a minus, and, as are most, it is missing the dust cover. On the plus side it appears to be in excellent condition, has a decent bayonet ($75-100), has the monopod ($75-120 if an original), and otherwise appears complete. I'd put a value of about $425-450 on it. Need to see complete markings to give mfg date.
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Does it have a "duffel-bag cut"? Pull that forward sling-swivel band off, and see if the stock is cut under there. GIs smuggling rifles home would have to cut the stock in two, as it was too long to fit in their duffel bags. They would cut it under the forward band, so that when they put the gun back together, the band would hide the cut.
  4. begebers

begebers New Member

I will look to see about the duffel bag cut when i get the chance. And when i look at it i will put up some of the marking too maybe. And what do you mean by dust cover? like a cover to keep dust out of the bolt? And thank you both very much for the information.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  5. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Yes, it was a sheet metal dust cover that slid over the bolt housing to keep dirt and debris out. However it was a pain in the butt and rattled so most of them were were removed and discarded
  6. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

Do you have the cleaning rod? If it is missing, that will hurt the value a bit.
  7. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

would you put the value at if it had the crysanthemum intact?