1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Javelinas

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by gun runner, Sep 11, 2012.

1. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

What caliber rifle do you use if you do hunt them? I been using my first .223 I got a long time ago and its been working quite well. Before that I been using my .270. Javelinas sure do stink and when you trap them you hear nothing but them snapping their tusks :D
  2. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Havent had a chance to hunt any javelinas yet. Killed lots of thier cousins though. I've killed a couple hundred hogs with my 30-30 and .45.
  3. twobit

twobit Active Member

They are smaller than feral hogs. Most I have shot were at 100-300 yards with a .270. A good quartering shoulder/lung shot will drop them in their tracks. They have a musk gland along their back a few inches in front of their tail. Young ones are tasty BBQ'd slow over Mesquite. Not a lot of fat on them. Avoid the musk gland while dressing them out.
    They are no where near as destructive as feral hogs on the land and on fences. Teeth/tushes are razor sharp and they will charge and slash if cornered, and can severely injure man, dogs, and horses.
  4. langenc

langenc Member

In the mid 60s had the opportunity to help handle the dogs for a javelina guide-Texas hill counrty.

I never shot one but was in on several kills. A BIG boar will weigh 45# or less.

Saw em shot w/ 357 and two were killed-one shot. Guide liked 22 LR for bayed ones.
  5. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

I want to get the head mount of one taxidermied, I just thought about it yesterday. How much should I expect to pay for a head mount?
  6. twobit

twobit Active Member

I had one done in 1972. It was $90 then. It is still on my wall. I think it might cost a little more now.:)
  7. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Especially if in '72 it was $90
  8. Country101

Country101 Active Member

I'm guessing it would cost about 250-350, depending on who did it.