JC Higgins Model 583.23 bolt action 12 guage

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Poppin Fresh, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Poppin Fresh

Poppin Fresh New Member

Does anyone know if there is still an active recall on this shotgun? I have been reading on the internet that Sears has been paying $160.00 to have the bolt returned. After that the gun is of no use. Can someone shed more light on this?
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

I think there is but its no longer 160 bucks. I think its a 50 dollar gift card to sears. What the deal was is that a bolt stop screw can become stripped and when opening the bolt the stripped screw would no longer stop the travel of the bolt and it could hit you in the eye. It happened to like 1 person and it was a fluke. Sears decided to protect themselves and recall the bolts to render the guns as inactive. No the gun won't blow up or open upon firing, it was a careless user that didn't inspect his own equipment. I'd assume pay someone 50 bucks cash for the SG than get a gift card from sears.
  3. SGVictor

SGVictor Member

The recall did not include the 583.23 version.

THere are various stories on teh internet as to why the recall was initiated. I do not know the truth avout why the recall was initiated by Sears.

I do know that there had been bolt failures not screw failures in teh past . THis was clear from some of the High Standard internal memos addressing gun problems and failures.

The most common shotgun failures were obstructed bores and handloads that were excessive. THere were a few failures in teh guns in general that were traced to bad material, improper heat treat, and parts that were not dimesnionally correct but these were a very small percentage of the overall problems in these reports.

I found it interesting that Sears stated in their recall that it was 12 gauge guns but in the list of reference numbers, they listed al three gauges, 12, 16 and 20. This suggests to me that Sears did not really remember these guns which they stopped selling over 30 years before the recall. It also suggest to me that they may not have known why they needed a recall.
  4. Poppin Fresh

Poppin Fresh New Member

Thanks to both of you. I guess a call to Sears will be the next step. I will post what I find out from them. Maybe it will answer questions for others down the road.

Thanks again!
  5. Poppin Fresh

Poppin Fresh New Member

6. Poppin Fresh

Poppin Fresh New Member

FYI
    I contacted Sears and you are correct the model 583.23 is not part of the recall. All of the earlier 12 ga models like .14 thru .22 are. Send in the bolt and receive a $50.00 gift card. Looks like I can clean oil and use.