JC Higgins Model 583.25

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by kelamjoe, Oct 27, 2013.

1. kelamjoe

kelamjoe New Member

Not sure of the year but any info would help. I am trying to find the value of this 20 ga. JC Higgins Model 583.25.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

The 583-25 is listed in my charts as a H&R, if it has no serial number ( serial numbers on long arms were not required prior to 1968 ) I know of no way to date it. . If it has a serial number and H&R used the same sequence as their non store branded guns, then it may be possible to date it.
  3. SGVictor

SGVictor Member

The Sears J. C. Higgins Model 10 reference number 583.25 is the last of the Model 10's It was manufactured by High Standard for Sears. The 583 part of the reference number is the sears vendor code for High Standard.

There will be no serial number because serial numbers were not required before January 1969 unless they were exported.

There would be an assembly date code on the barrel just forward of the receiver in the form of a two alpha characters.
  4. lcn

lcn Member

I had a friend that hunted ducks with a shotgun the same as that one pictured. This was in the mid 1950's. It had a choke on it too, they must have come that way. A bolt action J. C. Higgins 20 guage with a choke. I think he gave the neighbor 20 dollars for it. I don't know where he got the 20 dollars because we were all pretty poor. I can remember it sitting in the corner of the neighbors grainery before my friend took position. Guns were not all that plentiful then because of the Korean war. In 1953 I had a heck of a time finding a Winchester MD. 12. Had to pay 100 dollars for it. My dad paid half. Still have it.
  5. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Not worth much. My LGS had 2 of these both were $85. When I was a kid we used one of these to hunt some ducks and it worked ok.