1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

JC Higgins Model 60 Malfunction

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 24, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

prezzzzz
    (10/7/02 1:23:30 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Disassembling my J.C. Higgins model 60 shotgun
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Where can I find information on how to take my J.C. Higgins model 60 shotgun apart for cleaning. The barrel does not come off like my Rem. model 1100 does. I bought it at a gun show and it needs to be cleaned real bad but I don't know how to disassemble it.

Thanks for any info you may have.

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (10/7/02 8:16:25 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Disassembling my J.C. Higgins model 60 shotgun
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    That gun is basically the same as the High Standard Supermatic shotgun. The barrel is screwed into the receiver and is not readily removable.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Master Dealer for Kimber, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson

prezzzzz
    (10/8/02 8:45:24 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Disassembling my J.C. Higgins model 60 shotgun
    Well, I got it apart. The magazine tube unscrews from the main body and the gas assembly comes apart from there.

I cleaned everything real well and put it back together. But, when I operate the action, the silver thing, (not sure what you call it but it's the silver little door on the bottom that you push in the load shells, and it also pushes the sheel upward so the shell can load into the receiver) does not move when I operate the action. Also, the bolt will not lock open. Like when the last shell is fired, you know how the bolts is supposed to remain open? I doesn't do that.

1. Any ideas?

2. Can I still get parts for this thing if I need them?

Thanks so much for any insight you have. I know this gun isn't worth putting a lot of time and money into, but I just like it for some reason. I guess because it's old and ugly.

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (10/9/02 1:03:11 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Disassembling my J.C. Higgins model 60 shotgun
    Sounds like a problem with the carrier acutator spring. Did you take the trigger guard assembly apart?

Most parts for this gun are available on the used market, with Gun Parts Corp being the best choice.
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Master Dealer for Kimber, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson

gpostal
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (10/9/02 1:22:04 pm)
    www.e-gunparts.com/

prezzzzz
    (10/9/02 2:34:35 pm)
    I didn't take the trigger assembly apart, but I did take it out.

I think the missing part is called "cartridge Lifter actuator assembly". I can't figure out where it went.

I guess know I gotta figure out where to get one. I'll try the suggestions you gave me.

Thanks