1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

JC Higgins Model 60

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 24, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Finally received my Dad`s shotgun, JC Higgins model 60 12ga, with the dreaded (poly-choke) also JC Higgins. Now for some of the good things. This choke is the favorite of the other camp for deer-set on open, it will sling a slug---at sixty yards, as in......two inches. No problem. Here`s the catch, it`s used only in deer season, because it will only shoot, single shot, even though....as you know, is a semi-auto.
    It appears to have never, at least in the time down at the camp, to have been completely broken down for cleaning. It will not feed the shells, but will eject the round fired. It is in excellent condition-considering the age and use (the wood is to die for).....bathed in oil and spray lubs for that cheap and easy cleaning method.

I need some help here on breaking it down, is it hard???
    I believe I can clean it and it will work again, can the poly be cleaned too. Help a guy out, this is an important gun for me, as I thought is was gone forever, it`s still a shooter and has been in service, since the late 40`s or early 50`s. I will hunt with this gun-forever more, if it will handle it. vent rib-light weight, jeweled bolt....very slick.

Thanks a MILLION..

LTS

berto64
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/11/02 11:57:59 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: BERTO...JC Higgins
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LTS,
    The picture didn't show but I'll take stab at it.
    I am waiting on a M60 to arrive that I bought on auction.
    I really only know about the M 20 pumpguns and bolt actions.
    Look for a push thru pin in the frame above the rear of the trigger guard about 1/4 inch or larger in diameter. If it's there,
    push it thru. It shouldn't fall out, it hangs inna hole. If this is accomplished, pull the trigger assembly out and go from there.
    As I said before, this is the method for breaking down the Model 20 pumpgun made by High Standard. Hope this helps!

berto
    Endeaver to Persevere

berto64
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/12/02 12:14:13 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: BERTO...JC Higgins
    LTS,
    These guns are to be used with lead shot only! The barrels on them are not lined to handle steel.

berto

Endeaver to Persevere

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/12/02 7:13:41 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: BERTO...JC Higgins
    Don`t worry, have never used steel shot......nor will I. Thanks for the info, looks very much like the remington 870 type of takedown (pin) for the trigger group.

LTS

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/12/02 7:56:31 am)
    LTS.....there's nothing like sitting around a hunting camp fire fondling one of your dad's old guns. I don't care if it's only worth ten bucks......it's worth a million dollars in memories.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/12/02 1:09:28 pm)
    Yep, had thought this was gone long ago. My older Uncle had bought it and had it in the closet, only used during deer season and he never gave any thought about it, he mentioned it at our last camp......claimed-he didn`t know why he never thought to give it to me.......so he did. Brings back some good memories.......almost in the white again from use, but all in all....pretty slick for the age and use, darn solid steel gun too. If I can just get used to that basket on the end.......though being into flash-hiders.......could grow on me

LTS
  2. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/14/02 4:26:47 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All BERTO....Part two..JC Higgins
    Ok, finally got it somewhat broken down. NASTY!!! Bet it has never been apart since the sixties (man those were the years!!) The barrel has to come apart from the receiver, in order for the magazine barrel ring, to release the the spring (action spring/recoil). Am I going to have to whack it hard, seems it should just slide out....like others of this design??? Anything special??? Trigger group and bolt are out, washers and magazine spring are out. Left with the receiver and barrel, but so far have not been able to seperate those, they must come apart, in order to clean the recoil sping and guide. Any tips????

Powder cake is severe, like black wax.....what were they thinking....all these years???? No wonder it`s a single shot semi-auto.....wonder it even shoots.....LOL-not really

Thanks LTS

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/14/02 4:59:03 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: BERTO....Part two..JC Higgins
    Ok, can tell the barrel appears to be press fitted, so that`s not going to work. Can the spring and charging handle be removed.....sure don`t look like it....Gun Scrubber, could be a good thing, just 40 years to late...LOL

LTS