1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

JC Higgins Pump Model 20??

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Farmerjon, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Farmerjon

Farmerjon New Member

Duplicate below
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  2. Farmerjon

Farmerjon New Member

Re: JC Higgins Pump Model 20?? NO HELP??

Looked at a JC Higgins pump 12 gauge the other day. Guy wanted $350.00 for it. Be a good shooter, maybe a 50 per cent gun, nowhere new, been used on the farm/ridden in many pickups. What intrigued me and caught my eye was the choke on it. Had an open space between the end of the barrel and the choke tube. Ventilated, choke screws onto the ventilated portion that looked brazed onto the barrel (factory original work). Sure seemed screwey. Shot won't ricochet off of that?? Looks like a suppressor on it. Anyone have one and thoughts on how yours operates/shoots? He has three chokes for the gun. Is this way to high? I don't collect art type guns, nor junkers generally, but do like to shoot them and use them. Figured I would pick your brains and see what you think. Thanks for any and all help.
    Here is a great photo of the choke I am talking about.

http://www.*********.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=168679639

Just wanting to hear some first hand knowledge from those who shoot/shot/own/owned one.
  3. steve666

steve666 New Member

I bought one at auction a number of years ago. Really liked it. The only problem I had with the choke was that I couldn't find any other tubes for it other than the one that it came with. I would expect one in good condition to go for about $250 - $300.
  4. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

FarmerJon, that particular model JC Higgens was built by high standard and is equivalent to their flight King model. Its a very good shot gun and as one of the most robust locking actions and has in my mind always been under rated. Friend of mine has the same gun but with the adjustable choke. The adjustable choke version was too brazed on the barrel and it really was effective. Now the price that he is asking is a little steep. And I say this b/c guns made for non manufactures such as JC Higgens (Sears brand) even though the same thing do not have the same values. I think the JC Higgens my friend picked up was 200 and it was about 80%.
  5. Farmerjon

Farmerjon New Member

Steve and Helix, thanks for the information. It has the three chokes, but what I found most odd was the space between the end of the barrel and the beginning of the choke tube itself. It would be one I am interested in only because of the oddity of the choke tube. Going to be doing some dealing with this guy so will be dickering on it. Thanks again.
  6. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

The space is normal on the adjustable choke too. Never seen any indication that shot will bounce off internally. Since the wad has control of the shot until it picks up unconstrained resistance, there should and so far has not been any issues.
  7. Rneck

Rneck New Member

I got one for my 14th birthday,was my only gun for almost 10 years, took lots of meat home and also won at some local turkey shoots with it. I think the choke was called poly-choke and mine was stamped short range on the knurled rim. wish I still had it. a lot of people asked if it was a silencer
  8. Farmerjon

Farmerjon New Member

Yeah Rneck, silencer, suppressor, flash arrestor, I can see all the possiblities if I buy it and take it to a turkey shoot! Poly choke is what the guy called it. It is a factory original deal.

Helix, it just looked wierd/unusual and have never seen one before on any other type of shotgun. Looking to buy another article off of him, generally find from these type of "wheeler dealers" the more you buy, the better the buy becomes. So, will see.
  9. 6x6pinz

6x6pinz New Member

I really like my JC Higgins. I was going to sell it to a friend for 175 but he had never heard of JC before and opted out. I am in the process of restoring a JC mdl 29 22l rifle that is looking fab.
    Anyway here is my M20 in 12ga.
    [​IMG]
  10. Farmerjon

Farmerjon New Member

Yep 6X6, same ribbing on the pump slide (technical name escapes me!). I have a couple of JC Higgins, all have been good, a great 410 bolt action, a great 22lr, maybe if this deal doesn't go South, a 12 gauge. Great looking gun in the picture by the way! ps, i'll give you $200 for it!!!!!:cool:
  11. cakes

cakes New Member

It's the same as a High Standard Model 200. I picked one of these up recently for $100. That guy's price is way too high in the condition you described.
  12. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Cakes is right. look on the auction sites. You usually see them all day long on there at not to bad prices.
  13. Farmerjon

Farmerjon New Member

Saw the guy today. He wouldn't budge off of 350 so I passed. Didn't bother him, doesn't bother me, if it were mine I wouldn't sell it. Thought I would let you know how it went, thanks all for the comments, suggestions and real world experiences. I won't be suprised next time I see one and will be a more informed possible customer.
  14. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

look online, I see them everywhere.