Jeepers.

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by GMFWoodchuck, Apr 28, 2009.

1. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

I just started reloading a week or so ago and used up all my bullets. I never realized how much ammo I would go through reloading. Guess I need to buy some more brass, a powder dispenser (using the scale for each one is getting a little old), and alot more bullets next time around.....:D

It was nice being able to shoot away without worrying as to much ammo I have. I was also able to set up targets 300 and 400 yards away to test my shootery. I was happy with the results. I see future dead woodchucks and crows. I might also give those barnes TSX bullets a shot. I might try for deer this fall with it from the house. I figure so many people do so well with them in the small cals I could give them a try, if they shoot well. I figure I won't lose the deer even if it runs a long ways because it's all open field. I'll see it for an awful long time. I wouldn't ever carry it in the field though. I'm not lugging a 10-11 lb varmint rifle around. That's what my Mossberg and my dad's krag and 94 are for. I just want to check it out on a deer. The conditions would have to be perfect for me to pull the trigger. From the house, deer not moving, no wind, etc. Time will tell.
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

"to test my shootery." :) I like that phrase.

"using the scale for each one is getting a little old". Oh yeah. Doesn't take long for that to happen. Over the weekend, while playing with my Handloader, I loaded 200 38 special, 200 32 ACP and 50 45 colt.
  3. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

I hope that you didn't mean the phrase about the deer not being lost because even if it ran a long ways it is all open fields. An ethical hunter doesn't want that to happen. You want a fast clean kill. That kind of statement even if not meant is good fuel for the anti-hunters. Sorry, but that is the way I read it. BTW, I have killed several dear with my AR in .223 and none ran more that 35 yrds.. And it doesn't take a deer long to run 35yrds.. Good Luck with your loading and deer hunting.
  4. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

No, my point was is that there is quite a few hunters that use .223 and 22-250 and other 22 cal rifles on deer. I do think that the .22's are a little light for deer. That's why I wouldn't attempt to use it in a "not a perfect shot" situation. With a 30 cal or a shotgun slug one can easily expect to drop a deer from a "bad" angle. A rear quartering shot for example. Especially with a well made bullet. I only intend on waiting for the perfect broad side shot. If I don't get it, I'll wait till another day. My point about the open field is that the deer would have to run upwards of 600 yards before going into the woods where I intend on shooting from (the house/yard.) That's making the assumption that a well made bullet like the copper based ones from Barnes, Remington, Hornady and all of the others would not fail and pass through both lungs. Which is why I would never bother bringing it with me to the woods. I have no intentions of looking for a deer and trying to figure out where it went. I know that a heavier rifle and a decent shot will drop one near where it was hit.

I'm interested in shooting and killing deer. Not looking for wounded animals. I have had too much experience (it was only once and that was enough for me) of helping another hunter looking for a deer that he had poorly shot. Turns out shooting a leg off is inefficient. Fortunately, I guess that what it's called, he managed to hit it with another one of his piss poor shots blowing it's otherwise nice antler off and knocking him out. I told him that he sucked, and also told him that he wasn't welcome back. I'm 32 years old and I did miss about 4 seasons. But in the 12 years that I did hunt deer I only shot at 5 deer. And all dropped within a few yards. I have seen and passed up alot of animals just because I have no intentions of chasing down animals all over the country side. I like spending time in the woods more than I do hunting. So if I don't see a shot I like, I'm perfectly content just watching the wildlife.

Back to reloading, hopefully the TSX bullets shoot well. It would really annoy me to pay twice as much for crappy accuracy. Has anyone used any of the other "copper solid" bullets? How'd they fare?
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  5. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

Like I said sorry, but I thought it meant something totally different. Good ethics are everything in todays world.
  6. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

That's fine, Gene. I just wanted to be clear.

Never mind on the TSX. There is another thread on this....