Jennings 9mm, any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Informational & Technical Archives' started by Zigzag2, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

SkiingFool1974
    (4/9/02 8:17:33 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Jennings 9mm, any thoughts?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi guys, I've been lurking here for a while, and finally decided it was time to speak up.
    I'm looking for a small and reliable pistol to carry, and came across a Jennings 9mm for $120. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I know the old saying that you get what you pay for, but does it apply in this case?
    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    I've been thinking about a little .25 or .380. however at this price, the Jennings is almost too good to pass up.
    Thanks
    Evan

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/9/02 8:23:36 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Re: Jennings 9mm, any thoughts?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You do get what you pay for. The Jennings guns are designed strictly with price-point in mind. They are not designed to be shot a lot (or even a bunch), and dont take dry-firing well at all.

Their niche in the market is for people that simply cannot afford anything else.

I would suggest saving a bit more and picking up a Kel-Tec P11.
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Kimber and Wilson Combat Master Dealer

SkiingFool1974
    (4/9/02 8:36:35 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Jennings 9mm, any thoughts?
    Thanks, that was pretty much what I thought. What's the point of buying a gun if you aren't going to take it out often and become proficient with it?
    The Kel-Tec was actually top on my list until I saw the Jennings. Any thoughts on the P32?
    Thanks again,
    Evan

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/9/02 11:16:41 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Re: Jennings 9mm, any thoughts?
    I carry one daily.
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Kimber and Wilson Combat Master Dealer

SW Man
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/10/02 12:23:18 am)
    Jennings = Junk

Have been known to send their slide downrange with the bullet
    The second admendment GUARANTEES the Constitution and the other nine.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/10/02 7:14:16 am)
    Get a Mak. $160.00 or less.....mostly less.
    T.F.F.

SkiingFool1974
    (4/10/02 7:30:17 am)
    Hi everyone,
    Thanks to everyone that responded. I ended up getting the Kel-Tec p32. I can't wait until I can get a change to take it to the range.
    Thanks for all of the advice, its great to have a resource such as this, I will not be a stranger!
    Evan

Edited by: SkiingFool1974 at: 4/11/02 7:04:35 pm

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (4/11/02 9:40:12 pm)
    Welcome Evan

pcgood
    (5/16/02 8:53:02 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Jennings
    Get a Jennings 25 anyway and shoot it until it falls apart...then buy another. I took mine out for the first time yesterday and had fun. When it falls apart, I will give it to my dogs as a chew-toy and then buy another.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (5/16/02 11:54:05 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Re: Jennings
    Welcome pcgood

You might be on to something there. if I did that I would ahve an excuse to buy a gun every day or every 50 rounds whichever came first
    "I'M NOT GOING TO HAVE SOME REPORTERS PAWING THROUGH OUR PAPERS. WE ARE THE PRESIDENT." - Hillary Clinton commenting on the release of subpoenaed documents

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (5/19/02 11:04:46 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Jennings
    I doubt a Jennings would hold up if it were converted to a cap pistol.

Might make a cigarette lighter if you don't spin the flint wheel too hard.

GG

Different name
    *TFF Staff*
    (5/19/02 2:37:45 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

pcgood / GLAD YOU ARE HERE!

You'll like TFF - Join in every chance ya get.
    Charkie D
    E N J O Y ! !

Edited by: Different name at: 5/19/02 3:39:16 pm

berto64
    V.I.P. Member
    (6/5/02 5:53:41 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Jennings are junk.
    Like AD, my daily carry is a P-32, some times I add a heavier sidearm if entering a hostile environment.

berto out

Endeaver to Persevere

nighthawksh
    V.I.P. Member
    (6/6/02 4:15:58 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Jennings
    Had to add my 2 cents worth

while working at a local gunshop, I was amazed by folks who would come in looking for a handgun and say something like: "I just want something for self defense, nothing expensive!",, or buy a quality gun, then ask for the cheapest ammo we had,,, I would usually respond with : "What is your life worth?"

We had a motto:
    "There ain't no such animal as a GOOD, cheap gun!"

In all honesty, we would try to find something to fit everyone's pocketbook. No all gun owners are rich.

footnote: My boss in the shop, a gunsmith for 30 odd years would not buy, sell, or repair a Jennings, Davis, Lorcin, etc.
    Stan H ,, nighthawk
    Sir; I may not agree with what you say
    But I shall defend unto death your right to say it

mashaffer
    (6/6/02 8:51:20 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: What's your life worth
    I would like to add another perspective. The "what's it worth" question is often quoted but one should remember that there are people who simply do not have the money. If it is not under $200 they simply will have no weapon. This question could be a bit demeaning to them and it is much more helpful to determine what they have and work within that framework.

As someone mentioned a Makarov (which is and excellent pistol) can be had for around $150 maybe less and is far superior to Davis, Jennings et. al.

Even a $125 CZ-52 would make a better choice for defense. With a proper bullet this is definitely a pistol that would put a bad guy in a bad way.

A used revolver such as an H&R Ultra or Lady Ultra in .32H&R would also be a usable defense gun costing very little more than a pot metal pistol.

In short, if we are creative I think we can be more helpful.

Mike

Smoky14
    V.I.P. Member
    (6/7/02 8:43:13 am)
    Mike: Welcome, and a good point. Showing up at a gun fight with a club is not a good idea

nighthawksh
    V.I.P. Member
    (6/7/02 10:45:06 am)
    Mike
    you are correct, that is why I said: "In all honesty, we would try to find something to fit everyone's pocketbook. Not all gun owners are rich."

I believe, like you, that a good used gun is better than a new, cheap gun.
    Stan H ,, nighthawk
    Sir; I may not agree with what you say
    But I shall defend unto death your right to say it

walter in florida
    (6/23/02 12:30:18 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Jennings and other Pot Metal Guns?
    First handgun was Lorcin 25 ACP. I am waiting for Toys-R-Us to trade Guns for Toys. Got two grand kids.

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (6/28/02 1:27:43 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Jennings and other Pot Metal Guns?
    Jennings, Raven Arms, another 1-2 companys, each owned by a Father or one of his sons.
    All cheap pieces
    All pretty poor quality.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/28/02 8:32:44 am)
    Good points all......but I agree with Nighthawk.

Carry the biggest caliber you can conceal. Buy the best gun you can afford. A used quality gun is better than a new cheap gun. Never bring a chiuahuah to a rotweiller fight.

Rich in Lincoln
    V.I.P. Member
    (6/28/02 5:53:54 pm)
    No ones addressed used! Wouldn’t you rather buy a well loved (excessive holster wear) than a new piece of junk? Find an old Smith revolver (a good first pistol) with a good case of the ugly in a reliable gun shop. At a later date you can always have it refinished.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SkiingFool1974
    (6/30/02 9:39:34 am)
    Thanks for all the info everyone, I learned my lesson, you definitely get what you pay for! I ended up picking up a KelTec P32. What a nice, small gun, most of the time I don't even realize it's in my pocket! Now that the extractor problems have been fixed I really love that little thing.

I haven't had good luck with used handguns, and as a result I have decided to only go used if I find a fantastic bargain.

The .32 might be cute and small, but now I need to get a nice Kimber .45 for all those big bad bg's in the scary sections of VT.

Thanks again,
    Evan

matt3310
    (8/1/02 2:58:19 pm)
    i had two jennings. a 25 and a 9mm. both were junk!!!!!!!!!! jammed every round, or didnt work at all. that was a few years ago when i knew no better. now i am upset that the dealer sold me junk like that and said it was good. i will throw rocks before i will shot a jennings.
    just my 2 cents!

Central Texan
    (9/29/02 11:28:07 am)
    I just joined this board recently and just now came across this topic, so forgive me for 'bringing back a dead dog' so to speak.

I have a Bryco/Jennings Nine and it's been a decent gun so far. Now I know it's not the best quality or most reliable, that's why I also have my other, more reliable, better quality, handguns. I bought the Jennings as my first semi and I dint know enought about them. I saw it at the gun show for a good price and said "Hey, at least it will help me get use to a semi untill I can afford a "real" one". So I bought it. That was close to a year and a couple thousand rounds ago. Yes the gun does jam more than any other I've owned, but it isnt as bad as some folks make it out to be. I would still rather bring my Jennings to a gun fight than a rock.

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (10/4/02 8:26:06 pm)
    Makes a Jim Dandy fishing sinker.

GG

JackRyann
    (10/4/02 9:41:19 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Jennings = junk is absolutely true
    Forget that 25 and 380 cal if you are planning to shoot people. I'd rather have a knife that a 25.

It wouldn't even beat a heavy rock on a string.

If that is all a person can afford they'd be better off with the 22 so they could practice till they could hit 'em in the eye.

Stonedarwy
    (1/5/03 7:57:09 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Jennings = junk is absolutely true
    I bought a Jennings J22 LR and it is now a paperweight.
    Contagion Soulstorm
    0==={:::::::::::::>

RugerNiner
    (1/5/03 10:44:20 pm)
    Jennings 9mm = Paper Weight
    Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!

303brit
    (1/14/03 4:54:58 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Jennings
    I have shot both the Jennings 22 and the Davis 380 (still own the Davis) and the ones I had were not that bad. I have fired at least a hundred rounds through the davis without a problem.
    Is it cheap? Yes
    Is it Junk? No
    I would not use it as my only defense gun but it is definitely better than nothing.

kmad61
    (2/23/03 12:55:31 pm)
    Dont waste your money.Iwas a dealer for ten years and cant count the Jennings,Raven and other Saturday night specials that I sent back to the factorys.Always buy quality guns especially if you are using it for self defense.My choice is the Kel-Tec line,which are quality and inexpensive.
  2. Scot1759

Scot1759 New Member

More rumors and people that are brainless just keep adding to them. I have had my Jennings 9mm over a year and it has never jammed and never misfed from the clip. The Jennings brand is A-OK but just like any pistol it needs regular care and as long as you properly clean and oil it the gun works. Yes this means the spring in the clip as well. Lets face it you buy a pistol for self protection and as long as it throws the bullet out of the barrel its a good buy. I hope people just keep starting rumors for every gun so I can buy them as cheap. Most likely people who did not have the knowledge to break it down and maintain the gun started this "jennings is junk thing" I did buy a 1970 model Polish made Makarov 9mm. Nice gun as well for the money easy to break down but a little different to fire than American made pistols. Fit in my wifes hand better than the Jennings. Its a mini 9mm but has the recoil of a full 9. Anyway just keep the rumors going I am always looking for a good buy.
  3. Ursus

Ursus New Member

I owned one and I have two suggestions: Don´t shoot it much; don´t shoot it often.
  4. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Jennings guns are made of die cast zinc-pot metal. They are not made well.
    .25s will kill you. So will a .380.
    Glad you got the P32.You'll love it.
    Bill