The Firearms Forum banner

Jennings J-22 Best Ammo?

22K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  PPK 32 
#1 · (Edited)
I have had a Jennings J-22 for years. And I have had two major problems with it.
1. It sometimes jams with HP rounds.
2. It seems to have problems getting the next round in the chamber when using HP rounds.

I have checked out some great videos on YouTube concerning modifications to the extractor and barrel. While I think these are very practical remedies. I haven't done them yet, cuz they involve a gunsmith and I wonder if this pistol is worth it?

Has anyone else had these problems? Would just plain FMJ cartridges be better?

#2 ·
What you have is one of the cheapest pistols on the market! Don't expect much from it, and I don't know a gun smith that would touch it. As far as I know there is no such thing as FMJ in .22. Try some solids in .22, they might not feed any better. If at all posible step up to a better quality pistol, and possibily to a better caliber.

#3 ·
I had a Jenings 22 for years and it would function right if it was dirty. If I cleaned it-malfunction city. Fun little pistol but you get what you pay for....I fired most brands of ammo through it with no problems. Check you magazine spring. Clean the mag but not the pistol. Just a wipe down is all I used to do. My 2 cents.

#4 ·
No offense meant, but after seeing what can happen with one of these pistols I'd really recommend getting a better gun. If you insist on shooting this gun, as said earlier don't use HP. I had one, I got rid of it before it got rid of me. We had one blow apart at the range, no one was hurt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.