Jennings J22 Disassembly

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 24, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

gestalt3
    (1/8/03 6:29:44 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Maybe off topic, jennings j22
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A friend of mine has gotten a jennings j22 semi-auto pistol. My question is, how do you get the slide off. Is there anyone out there that can help me?

Thanks! andy

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/8/03 6:51:40 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Maybe off topic, jennings j22
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If memory serves, there should be a little collar looking thing around the back of the firing pin, visible from the rear of the pistol. Take the mag out, and push that collar in with a pencil. The slide should retract and pull up at the rear, then forward off the pistol.

Once disassembled, scatter the parts.
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Master Dealer for Kimber, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson

JackRyann
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/9/03 3:18:19 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Maybe off topic, jennings j22
    This is true.

I took the "safety" off mine and threw it away while I had it apart.
    --44 mag, when you're ready to get serious--

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/9/03 8:59:14 am)
    Hi Gestalt3.......welcome to TFF.

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/11/03 2:27:15 am)

Quote:

My question is, how do you get the slide off.

Just tell him to shoot it a few times. It should fall apart on its own.

Jennings, Raven, and I can't recall the other 1-2 companies were all owned by different members of the same family (father and sons). Their companies were once dubbed 'the ring of fire', in that their plants were on the fringes of Los Angeles, surrounding it.
    Their weapons are well known for being cheap, inaccurate junk. Better than nothing, but not by much.

Rich

Edited by: rayra at: 1/11/03 2:30:24 am

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/11/03 9:17:24 am)

Quote:
    Maybe off topic

Do a "Google Search"... story after story about them being JUNK!

Quote:
    Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Jennings

gestalt3
    (1/12/03 10:32:04 pm)
    Like I said... it is not mine. But it is still kinda fun, when it actually feeds a round : ) .

I thought i tried everything to get the slide off...even pushiing it the button at the rear of the slide (maybe not hard enough...didn't really want to permanetly disasemble someone elses weapon ( can it really be called that? : ) )

andy

JackRyann
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/13/03 1:43:56 am)
    It sure as heck is a weapon.

Keep it clean and will function reliably so long as you remove that goofy little safety. Just keep the chamber MT and if you have to use it you'll need them all anyway.

I bet I can make ya keep yer head down 50 yards away with one.
    --44 mag, when you're ready to get serious--

303brit
    (1/14/03 4:14:59 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del J22
    I disagree, I owned a J22 and mine functioned fine, shot very well, I sold it to a friend of mine, he has had no problems with it.
  2. angelo1484

angelo1484 New Member

i PURCHASED MY JENNINGS J22 SINCE 1986 STILL OPERATIONAL, BESIDE ANYONE WHO WANTS PARTS INFORMATION , AND DISAASSEMBLY INFO LET ME KNOW BY EMAIL. GOOD LUCK TO ALL WHO STILL OWNS THEM - I'M GIVING IT TO MY YOUNG SON AS A TRAINING TOOL OUT THE RANGE.
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  3. shacknwoods

shacknwoods New Member

angelo, how do you get the slide off the j22?
  4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Ar the rear of the slide the is a round do-hickey,using a ball point pen or similar depress that little button in the center.
  5. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

shoot around 200 rounds out of it, it will disassemble itself
  6. drwinslow20

drwinslow20 New Member

actually it won't if you take care of it.
  7. doug66

doug66 New Member

I had one that "auto field stripped" in less than 100 rds.
  8. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

I bought one at a gunshow for abour $69 if I remember. took it out & shot a few shots. Thought I'd save the spring for storing it & made the mistake of dry firing it. The rear of the chamber where the firing pin hit was so soft it was peened deeply & ruined the gun. Took it back to the gunshow the next day & the guy happily gave us our money back. Said he was used to getting lots of them returned & Jennings covered him on them. It was almost impossible to hit anything with it the trigger was so bad.
  9. jondar

jondar New Member

I was in a local truck stop about twelve years ago, a driver came up to my car and said he was broke, needed money for food, sold me a J-22 for $25. I really didn't want the gun, I have some really good guns but the poor guy looked like he was really down so I bought it. I shot it off and on for ten years never cleaned it, just kept going POW! each time I pulled the trigger. I used it for stray cats, never shot the cats, just fired into the ground and they take off. I broke down last year and disassembled it, soaked it in solvent, oiled it and reassembled it. It's still going POW! Your results may vary, mine were good.
  10. GLT

GLT New Member

I am interested in disassembly instructions. Can you direct me to where I can find that.
    Thank you for your assistance.

glt
  11. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Take a pen and push in on the little aluminum piece that's shaped like a light bulb and lift up on the slide. Be careful because that piece and the firing pin and spring will want fly out the back of the slide.
    I bought one years ago and all it wants to do is stove pipe rounds. If it was heavier, it may be good for throwing at someone or whacking them in the head. Anyone have a slingshot they want to trade for it?:eek:
  12. Cidecar2

Cidecar2 New Member

I bought a J-22 at a pawn shop a month ago. Put about 200 round through it before problems. Discovered it likes Remington gold ammo. The pin that holds the "Hatchet" shaped, stamped piece of metal on the starboard side of the gun came loose and jammed that piece against the inside of the slide. That pin needs to maintain proper length to allow that flat piece to pivot. I shimmed mine to test my theory. Put 60 rounds through it yesterday no probs. I like this little gun, it's fun and cheap to shoot.
  13. NONESE

NONESE New Member

IM NEW HERE, CAME HERE FOUND MY ANSWER VERY EASILY, I JOINED, THANKS ANDY FOR THE USEFUL INFORMATION:)
  14. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

:eek:;):D:confused:NONESE,
    Welcome - stick around and contribute.:):p:cool::rolleyes:
  15. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

MIne would only function if it was dirty-cleaned it and it would jam or not feed properly. crazya$$ pistol. I kinda want to get another one.
  16. DocSkunk

DocSkunk New Member

Hey just joined the site, i like it thus far. First post. I just got a Jennings J22 free when buying a Stevens Model 940A shotgun. Its a nice pistol looks wise. I would like to shoot it but its stuck in the cocked position and you cant break it down when its cocked. The trigger wont depress to dry fire it. Safety is off. The trigger will depress when i slid the slider back but still wont dry fire so i can strip it and clean it. anyone have any advice on how to get it to dry fire or how to fix it? thanks in advance. I want to keep it as a nice back up to my Taurus PT101 40cal. I know many say its junk. but even if its a one pop and drop gun. its better than nothing.

Skunk
    Last edited: May 27, 2011
  17. rrisner

rrisner New Member

I've had a J-22 for over 25 years and yes it has had it's share of FTF and jams but if you keep it cleaned and oiled it works pretty good, I have shot a box of 50 rds without a jam or FTF before,No kidding,, I was shocked to.,, it needed a good cleaning afterwards but the little gun don't do bad,, But it is what it is, You get what you pay for.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2014
  18. 221fireball

221fireball New Member

I bought a J-22 years ago. Fired everything i run through it. No jams or FTF. Wife enjoyed shooting it. Bought one of her own. Constant jams and FTF. She traded it for a Beretta Minx and never regretted the trade.