Jewish lobby wages war on Christmas trees

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by the morning light, Dec 18, 2009.

1. the morning light

the morning light New Member

2. sabashimon

sabashimon New Member

ZZZzzzzzzz (yawn)
  3. rentalguy1

rentalguy1 Former Guest

It would be nice of them to realize that decorated trees, lights and garland are NOT Christian symbols. These are holiday traditions in this country that were all brought here by immigrants over the years. The ONLY holiday decoration that is a Christian symbol is a nativity scene. Just like the menorah is the symbol of the Jewish holiday Hanukkah. There is nothing clownish about either a nativity scene or a menorah...
  4. JohnBrainard

JohnBrainard New Member

5. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

This is not the "Jewish Lobby" it is a handful of individuals. Israel gets a lot of tourists every year, many Christians and with few exceptions Israelis are very glad to have them.
  6. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

;):D:)
  7. 45nut

45nut Active Member

Maybe we shouldn't poke another stick into this ant pile. :confused:
  8. Millwright

Millwright Well-Known Member

If memory serves, the "Christmas Tree" is a Norse/Celtic custom having no connection with Christian celebrations of the Nativity. But when Christian priests were seeking converts, why not 'absorb' a traditional ritual ? >MW
  9. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

I believe if I operated a Restaurant in Jerusalem, I would expect to lose some customers by putting up a Christmas tree in the window during the Christmas season.
    By the same token, if I operated a restaurant in Erin, TN, I would expect to lose some customers by putting a nine candlestick Menorah in the front window at Hannukkah.
    Neither would be any indication of some dire problem, though. And the customers lost in either case would probably not amount to much anyway -

Personally, I like Danny Thomas' solution when his kids felt bad about being the only house in the neighborhood without a Christmas tree.
    He put an evergreen in his living room window, decorated it, and was careful to instruct the kids that it was NOT a Christmas tree, but was a Hanukkah Bush.
  10. ampaterry

Probably true.

Morning Light, there ARE some Jewish people that dislike Christians. I have met a couple, and just shrugged it off. The VAST MAJORITY I have met are extremely decent people, though, that think very highly of us.

When I was down flat with my broken leg for MONTHS, I spent a LOT of time on the internet. I found a Jewish discussion group (On Jewish Street.com, IIRC) that I started hanging out on, discussiong various things with the regulars there.
    ONE PERSON there got upset about my being there and left, while all the rest were just as nice as they could be. I enjoyed learning more about their customs and beliefs, and they all seemed to enjoy learning more about the customs and beliefs of Christians.

I think it behooves us to quit digging and searching for those rare instances where animosity is shown, and instead realize that NO ethnic group is free of idiots. Not the Jews. Not the Christians either.
  11. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn New Member

But isn't is about being PC? Isn't it about respect for other religeons? Isn't it...BANG

***duck....run***
  12. ampaterry

BANG!
    BANG!
    BANG!
    BANG!
    BANG!
    BANG!

(Sound of ejected empties and snap of a speed-loader)

BANG!
    BANG!
    BANG!
    BANG!
    BANG!
    BANG!
  13. obxned

obxned New Member

I grew up in the 1950's in a suburban neighborhood with lots of kids, some of whom had Jewish parents. We kids didn't talk about what our parents did or said. After school pick-up games of baseball or football, or in the spring, fishing were far too important to let anything involving adults interfere. We knew that grownups were all just weird embarrassments.

We did realize that both Christmas and Hanukah were specific religious holidays, but somehow the peace and hope of the season were what we most felt. We were so simple and naive that we felt our holidays were a common celebration of all that is right and good with the world.

However, we never really felt comfortable around the Catholic kids.
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  14. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I believe that Danny Thomas, of St. Jude Hospital and entertainment fame, was a Roman Catholic, not a jew.
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  15. yellerdawg

yellerdawg Former Guest

For those that use scripture to debate the use of trees...it has been long determined that this concerned using the actual "wood" of the trees to carve "idols " and disregard our true God.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeremiah 10 (King James Version)

Jeremiah 10

1Hear ye the word which the LORD speaketh unto you, O house of Israel:

2Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.

3For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.

4They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.

5They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good.

6Forasmuch as there is none like unto thee, O LORD; thou art great, and thy name is great in might.

7Who would not fear thee, O King of nations? for to thee doth it appertain: forasmuch as among all the wise men of the nations, and in all their kingdoms, there is none like unto thee.

8But they are altogether brutish and foolish: the stock is a doctrine of vanities.

9Silver spread into plates is brought from Tarshish, and gold from Uphaz, the work of the workman, and of the hands of the founder: blue and purple is their clothing: they are all the work of cunning men.

10But the LORD is the true God, he is the living God, and an everlasting king: at his wrath the earth shall tremble, and the nations shall not be able to abide his indignation.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

To all my Jewish friends, as I have already stated..I wish a very
    happy Hanukkah..today being the 18th.....

God bless us all....