JLA- results of todays ladder test.

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by ChuckR, Nov 6, 2011.

1. ChuckR

ChuckR Member

WELL!!!! todays latter test did not go as expected.
    I made up the 20 target chart just like JLA did in his thread, but I used 1" black adhesive circles for the bullseye. No problem I thought as I look at the target. (Boy was I wrong:() Got to the range and set up the target on the 100 yard range, went back to the firing line. Here are my gun spec's;

Rock River AR 15
    Bushnell Trophy red dot 1X

Well the problems then started, as my scope was a 1X and my eyes are 59 years old I could not see the black bullseyes on the target. Also the sun did not help as it was to my back and there was a glare from the white cardboard of the target. I shot 2 rounds, both were real low, could not be sure if it was the powder load or if I was not aiming correctly. So I packed it up and went home.:bleh:

Will need to get bigger bullseyes and maybe do 2 target boards of 10 shots each, instead of one 20 target board. JLA will this cause any problems in reading the data from the targets? As I would need to go and switch targets after 10 shots. As always, thanks for any feedback.

Chuck
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I would mount a scope with a little magnification to do the ladder test. It is crucual that you hold the same exact POA for each shot. The 1X red dot will be fine after you get the load developed, but you need the advantage of magnification on the target to get the most from a ladder test.

You can increase the size of the aiming point but if you are going to use the 1X red dot and a bigger aiming point I would use one rally large target on the center of the poster board and just let the shots fall where they fall all the while you hold center very very carefully. You will get readable results this way, but a scope is better.
  3. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 New Member

Or a target peep.

My vote would be for a scope with at least 9-10X so that you can eliminate aiming errors caused by the low power dot scope. Like JLA said; then you can put the red dot on and center it.