JOB RANT!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rocketman1, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

I just got to get it out of my system, but will be careful what I say, because you never know who may be reading. Is the good old USA work force getting stupid, or is it just the place I work. Just curious to know if anyone else feels the way I do.

I have had the same job for thirty-five years, working to support the sales group of a family owned business, by sizing, costing, and giving technical advise for the manufacture of industrial equipment. (Don’t want to give any more job description than that away.) I do not have a college degree, but grew into the position over the years. I’m sort of a jack-of-all-trades, and master of none. My experience ranges from steel fabrication, electrical control systems, electrical power systems, mechanical equipment, and many other things.

The company had a big down sizing a few years ago, and laid off a lot of their experienced engineers. Now they have engineers straight out of college that don’t know a stinking thing. I think that part of the problem may be that these young college students are not given any hands on experience in the real world, and they don’t know how to apply what; if anything that they learned. Part of the problem may also be that the company doesn’t higher the right person for the job. Just because someone has an electrical engineering degree doesn’t mean they know anything about PLC control systems or high voltage power systems, because their degree is actually in transistor electronics. But of course the company thinks they know it all, because they have a degree! And my years of experience means nothing to them.

If a rotating mechanical piece of equipment requires a 300 hp, 1200 rpm motor driven by a variable speed drive, you CAN NOT use a 300hp 1800 rpm motor and turn it down to 1200 rpm with the variable speed drive! Why, because it will not develop the torque required, so it is essentially no longer a 300 hp motor! Torque (ft lbs) = (BHP*5250)/RPM

IDIOTS!!
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

know what your saying , see it here daily , sad eh..
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

It is the good old USA work force getting stupid; I've seen it all over the place. Companies are bringing in green and untrained workers to "save" in labor costs. They're only bringing temporary relief to their budgets instead of looking at ways that they can actually be "sustainable" for the long term. They don't dare shrink profit margins, yet that would be the best long term option.
    This is what gets me and you've probably seen it too. Companies get rid of a majority of their older experience work force and replace them with green hands; there is no over-lap, so the new workforce can get actual training with the people that actually have the know-how.
    I've seen "early retirement" options where 30-40% of the workforce is turned over, the place goes to hell in a handbasket for awhile and never reaches the same productivity level as when properly trained and educated folks were in those jobs. The new level is now the "norm"....... it's not long before what would have been piss poor quality 10 years ago is now considered "passable" and ok to send to the consumers.

...... enough rant from me, y'all know how it is out there in alot of companies nowadays anyways. Rosie woulda kicked the snot outa 90% of todays workforce. ( for those that don't know Rosie the Riveter, google "her". )
  4. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

The last generation or two (*with a few exceptions) doesn't really have the old time work ethic.

It's all over, my wife has 30+ years in a hospital, the new nurses are bad and don't give a hoot about anything....except payday.
  5. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

gee you dont want to get me started. I work with architects and engineers on every project I do. I am just a commercail fence contractor and DUDE you dont want to get me strated. I have little white pills to keep me from strangling people. I sit in on progress meetings with all the trades and see that the problems i encounter is not limited to me.

When I look at a project that has 5 or 6 addendas and they are just as long as the original plans i know the job is in the toilet.

One trade can hold up everyones retainage on a project.

AND IT PISSES ME OFF.
  6. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

all jobs are like that, the older people work and the young kids don't
  7. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Hands on experiance, they dont get!!!
    Most that Ive seen in this "new" generation, their parents BUY them a car as soon as they turn of age, they dont (most) get part time jobs while in school, their parents support their EVERY need and then they go from school, straight to the work force.
    I could go on and on about this....sickens me to see a 16yr old out driving a new vehicle that would take an "average" person a while to accuire.....my opinion, "their not taught to work!!!!! Plain and simple.
  8. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

What do you expect when all anyone is told that matters is school and education?

And give the young guys a break, they are stuck in a trap they do not really have any opportunity to get hands on experience, hard to get a job without experience and hard to get experience without a job.
  9. Zane71464

In my post, I wasnt meaning ALL young people have that life, but by the time I was 16 I had about 7 years of job/work experiance to take to my first job interview.
  10. Zane71464

...here's an example : I'm in the BMV line getting my plates re-newed and I hear a lady ask if I knew of anyone that does lawn work? I got to talking to the lady and asked what she was looking for?
    She said, just someone to cut my grass once a week! I asked if she had any young people living in her neighbothood? She said; "sure do" but they "dont cut lawns"".
    ...fine example there.
  11. Zane71464

....and at 30 bucks for a 20 min. job and her neighbors needing the same work done...I might be in the wrong buisness, myself!!!!
  12. BradleyCole09

BradleyCole09 New Member

I have gotten all my training on the job 7 years and I'm fairly versatile( tig,countersinking, tap, press breaks, Pem hardware) it pissis me off to see my boss bring in 3 temps making minimum wage and not getting the new equipment that would remove the need for them not to mention the 17 year old patched together punchpress jerryriged to function. It is sad when it's all about bypassing safety equipment that the switches have failed on but still make it look like it works so we won't get violations.... It's all about the bosses bottom line why spend it on the shop when u can spend it on toys and the bottom line don't change
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  13. Python

Python Former Guest

Its always been that way.
  14. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

I've seen engineers who were really good, then others who BS'ed their way through until it blew up in their face, then others yet who hung around for years.

That piece of paper is the ticket through the front door just the same. Why parents are spending 25-75K per year on their kid's education. I don't think reality will ever change either.
  15. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

That trend is changing slightly, more kids are going to 1 and 2 year programs or going into trade schools with grants and forgoing the $100,000+ college path and student loan debt.

America needs more skilled trades and less history majors.