John Adams letter to Abigail, July 3rd, 1776...

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by Guest, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (7/2/01 9:31:25 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All John Adams letter to Abigail, July 3rd, 1776...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In another letter dated July 3, 1776 from John Adams at the Second Continental Congress in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, to Abigail Smith Adams in Braintree, Massachusetts, John Adams wrote;2

"But the Day is past. The Second Day of July 1776, will be the most memorable Epocha, in the History of America.- I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance by Solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfire and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more."

"You will think me transported with Enthusiasm but I am not. - I am well aware of the Toil and Blood and Treasure, that it will cost Us to maintain this Declaration, and support and defend these States. - Yet through all the Gloom I can see the Rays of ravishing Light and Glory. I can see that the End is more than worth all the Means. And that Posterity will tryumph in that Days Transaction, even altho We should rue it, which I trust in God We shall not."

John had it PRETTY well right, anyway, HAPPY JULY 2ND!!!!

AND read it again, it is our OBLIGATION to celebrate Independence "with GUNS."

Enjoy your hard won Freedom and Independence, and vow to live up to the EXPECTATIONS of the Founding Fathers.

And if it was up to me, it would be a FOUR WEEK Celebration, from June 7th - July 4th, not one lousy but Wonderful day!

Make some noise, I'm gonna set off some "Rocket's Red Glare," tonight, too...

Edited by: polishshooter at: 7/2/01 11:24:35 pm

the real fredneck
    (7/3/01 7:08:12 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: John Adams letter to Abigail, July 3rd, 1776...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    aw come on Polishshooter
    July 4 is my son's birthday, there is always an adequate ammount of fireworks and shooting on that glorious day but I don't think I would want a month of it

polishshooter
    (7/3/01 10:57:17 am)
    Well, I thought the idea at least was a good one...

warpig883
    (7/3/01 12:14:34 pm)
    Great post Polishshooter. I had a guy complaining about the 4th and fireworks and the whole celebration thing. i think i will give this to him.
    I fear we have awaked a sleeping giant and filled it with a terrible resolve. Jap. Admiral Yamamota directly after Pearl Harbor. If the women don't find you handsome, at least they will find you handy. Red Green.

polishshooter
    (7/3/01 12:33:55 pm)
    I have a framed copy of the Declaration hanging in my Family Room right over the TV...

Let us NEVER forget what it means.

And as for the guns, as long as I can remember, I remember my Dad, no matter what we did or where we went during the day, no matter what fireworks we saw or used, coming home and shooting his Sportsman 48 16ga in the air a few times before we went to bed on the night of the 4th...

He died in '97, but I carry on the tradition.

Hey, my son inherited the 16, I may just have to shoot it in my backyard on the 4th too, just for the memories.

the real fredneck
    (7/3/01 12:42:46 pm)
    great idea polishshooter