John P Lovell Single barrel 12 GA

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by jdempsey, Aug 1, 2009.

1. jdempsey

jdempsey New Member

I have a Lovell Single Barrel 12 GA that is in decent shape with 60 -70% of the bluing left.

Thanks,

Jason
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

John Lovell operated a wholesale business in Boston from 1890 until 1899. The J P Lovell Arms Co. did not make firearms per say, but sold both domestic and imported. I know the single barrels came in at least a couple of different flavors, English and Belgium. The English shotgun will be marked England, The Belgium shotgun will be unmarked except for proof marks on the water table ( under the fore arm ), the letters ELG in a circle or oval with perhaps a crown on top. Does yours have any other markings other than J P Lovell?, if so can you post them??
  3. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

j.p. lovell co. started out in precivil war days as a manufacturer making mostly single barrel percussion shotguns. by the end of the civil was they discovered the money was selling what other people made so they became a full line sporting goods wholesaler/retailer selling other people firearms and some marked with brand names they owned, like champion. by the 1890's they had several stores in and around the new england area with the main store in boston being several stories tall and about a half city black wide. in 1873 johnson & bye gunsmith became the sole manufacturer of handguns that j.p. lovell co. advertized as "their own make" and by 1883 iver johnson 's arms co, became the sole manuacturer of the champion single barrel shotgun line that lovell also called their own. by 1900 j.p. lovell co. was a very large concern. but like most the original founders were gone and the heirs were not interested. in 1900 the J.P. Lovell co. main store was sold to the iver johnson family who renamed it iver johnson sporting goods of boston. the iver johnson family operated this store until the 1950's. most of the other J.P. Lovell co. locations were closed in 1900 after the sell of the main store except for one location in portland maine, which remained opened until at least the wwI era. most likely because some family member wanted it and this was the location of the original j.p. lovell arms co.

back in the 1880's and 90's most of the single barrel shotguns lovell sold were only marked with a brand name, few had the j.p. lovell name unless it was the name of the boston store like j.p. lovell co. sporting goods boston.
    the portland store did sell some single barrels marked 'lovell arms portland maine" for a long time. some of these may have been manufactured locally by an unknown makers or even in the portland store shop.

all this was said to tell you the only way to properly identify you lovell marked shotguns is to see some good clear sharp pictures of it and its markings. even the era of manufacture can not be determined with out pictures.

early single barrel shotguns do not hold much interest for most collectors but there are a few of us who do have an interest. having pictures of these early single barrels does help the research effort.
    bill
  4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Thanks Bill, allways learning, I should have known that from your book.
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  5. joe lovell

joe lovell New Member

I am a descendent of john lovell,and I would be interested in purchasing the gun...I think that they also made bicycles too
  6. Anchor Clanker

Anchor Clanker Member

The company was (re)incorporated on February 18, 1893 as the LOVELL ARMS & CYCLE COMPANY so they may have sold bicycles.
  7. carl rowan

carl rowan New Member

hello my name is carl rowan and I have lovell john 12 gage shotgun with a 36 inch barrel. and the only numbers on it is just 8 6 on the shotgun the two numbers are spaced out apart like I have it on here.can u tell me about how much thay are worth.my email adrsse is rowanc42@yahoo.com. the shot gun in good shape. I did shot it to see if it shots and it does shot.
  8. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Please describe the item in as much detail as possible.

Detail does not mean "in good shape" ,describe how the wood is, how much blueing (% of original finish left) there is etc., and anything else you see that may be helpful.

Tell us all marking, words, and letters anywhere on the gun.

PICTURES are required. Clear, sharp pictures....full length, both left and right sides, as well as closeups of any unusual features, engraving, etc.
    Here's How: http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=19430

Example:

If you have an old gun and the markings on it are E over LG then the gun was made in Belgium.

You may try doing a SEARCH and find your gun value. If not, START A NEW THREAD instead of bringing up an old post that has already been answered. THE OLD POST MAY BE IGNORED..

Our entire range of staff, are more than happy to assist you, as well as many of our membership in general, in order to try and answer your questions.
    This forum is for firearms values only. Anything else will be deleted.

All members are invited to participate but no guessing. We prefer you use the Standard Catalog of Firearms. It's much closer to real value than Blue Book. Blue Book is better for trade values.

Just remember, we are trying to help YOU. The more info you give us, the more accurate the value will be. And don't forget a couple of PICTURES.
    Our experts work hard to give you an accurate value on your firearm so give them the info they need.

Also, we are not an air rifle forum. These posts will be deleted.
    No offers to buy or sell in this forum. We have a Buy/Sell/Trade Forum for that.

Any attempt to buy or sell on this forum will result in your suspension from TFF.

If your post is removed it's because the guidelines were not followed.
  9. carl rowan

carl rowan New Member

mr joe lovell this is carl rowan again what is my shotgun worth to u. please let me know my email is rowanc42@yahoo.com
  10. carl rowan

carl rowan New Member

im going to get time for my phone and I will take picures of my shotgun and send thim to u tomorrow. by the way this is carl rowan agian
  11. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have no idea how much you shotgun is worth. If you put some pictures on your post, the experts will be better able to give you information on the gun. Carl, you do not have to say who you are in every post, your name is right there on the left hand side.