Johnson bolt action 30-06 made in Belgium

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by cjumpstartwin, Sep 21, 2010.

1. cjumpstartwin

cjumpstartwin New Member

Hi wanting to find out the value ? My son bought a Johnson 30-06 bolt action made in Belgium serial # 58** in very good condition like to know approx year made if possible. Will post more pictures

Attached Files:

2. cjumpstartwin

cjumpstartwin New Member

Here some more pictures.

Attached Files:

3. cjumpstartwin

cjumpstartwin New Member

Here is more pictures

Attached Files:

4. cjumpstartwin

cjumpstartwin New Member

can anyone tell me how much this 30-06
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

cjumpstartwin

i've never heard of a johnson made in belgium , but have heard of a few mauser actions barreled with barrels off johnson automatic rifles as they where a brilliant chrome bored barrel , could this be the case ?

where on the rifle does it state made in belgium?

and is johnson only on the barrel ?

does it say Johnson automatics?

the pic's you have provided are rather small to guage this from but suspect this is the case

cheers
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  6. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

My 2.5mm screen doesn't show much detail with those small pics.
  7. cjumpstartwin

cjumpstartwin New Member

Made in Belgium on bottom of barrel
    Johnson automatic 30-06 on top of barrel
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  8. CHW2021

CHW2021 Active Member

I can't see much with the small pic's but it does look like a mauser action (need picture of bolt release on left side) with a Johnson barrel. One of the custom rifles made from "available" parts after the war. Value is as a custom shooting rifle, ballpark 300.00 to 700.00 depending on the buyer. Personally, it would be a rifle to keep and shoot, as it is very nice looking and is likely one of a kind.
  9. Jim K

Jim K New Member

After WWII, Melvin Johnson remained in the arms business, and one of the offerings advertised by Johnson Automatics was the "sporterizing" of military surplus weapons, including Mausers, M1903's and M1917's, including rebarrelling to any of four calibers (.30-'06, .270, .257 Roberts, and .220 Swift. Prices ranged from $26 to $170, depending on the amount of work involved.

Rebluing service was also offered, both separately and in conjunction with the other work, at $10 for a rifle or shotgun, $8.50 for a handgun.

I was unaware that the barrels were made in Belgium, but Johnson had connections there, so it is not too surprising. I don't find any reference to use of new actions, so I would assume the action is ex-military.

Jim
  10. cjumpstartwin

cjumpstartwin New Member

So how much would you think it would be worth to sell...? it is in excellent condition
  11. cjumpstartwin

cjumpstartwin New Member

Thanks for your help appreicate the help .. yes it's very nice custom stock just in beautiful condition..