JP Sauer .22 revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by gundark, Jun 26, 2006.

1. gundark

gundark New Member

hi there, new to the forum, but it seems like an awesome place/concept!

i was curious as to the estimated value of a revolver i have. a college friend of mine was moving out of her house and gave tons of stuff away. one item i got was a revolver that i recently found out to be a JP Sauer Western Marshal .22 revolver. some of its "quirks": 1) it fires fine, although the hammer won't cock back sometimes if it's pulled slowly (it's got personality, okay?), 2) the screw that holds the hammer in place is a non-standard replacement that fits fine, but looks out of place, 3) the screw in #2 was quite long and needed to be hack-sawed to keep it from sticking out the other side of the gun, theres a nut holding the screw in place, 4) when we hack-sawed the screw in #2, several shallow gashes were made in the wood-finish handle, and 5) the drum can only be rotated when the hammer is half-cocked, though the hammer won't stay half-cocked, meaning i have to hold the hammer to spin the drum. also, there's a rear-sight on it, though all the pictures i've seen on the internet of this gun didn't have one. don't know if it's standard or not.

now for markings. the left side of the barrel has a stylized target circle with "HS," followed by "MOD. 21 S CAL .22lr M. i. W. GERMANY" (the drum also has the target and "HS"). right where the barrel meets the frame, and on the frame under the drum on the left side, there is a small bear or boar or bison (about 4 mm long - i can't tell which), and next to the frame animal is the number 84 (the series or year made, i assume?). on the right side of the gun there's an indented 5-point star in a circle in three spots on the frame. the metal at the botom of the grip reads "SPORTARMS OF FLORIDA MIAMI".

sorry for the long post... i figured more information would be better than less, so there it is. i'm also going to see if i can get a photobucket link up for pictures of the gun i'm gonna take in about 2 minutes. thanks for your time!

**EDIT** hmm... a direct link to the pictures in photobucket seems to be working...
    picture 1
    picture 2
    picture 3 (with non-standard screw)
    picture 4 (with screw nut and handle scratch)
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2006
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Welcome GUNDARK

Couldn't get the pictures to work somethin about needin a password
    So from what you said I think you have a Hawes Sauer Western Marshall
    In the shape you stated I would say about $100 at best
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2006
  3. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

I couldn't get the pix to work either.....but I agree with Southernshooter. Sounds like a Hawes Western Marshall which was made by J.P. Saur.

Sounds like this gun has some "issues", and I agree that it's worth about $100....tops!
  4. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Gundark, try the "Insert Image" button (in the toolbar above the box where you compose your message) to insert each image into your post. You'll have to insert each image separately.

If that doesn't work, you can post a link directly to each image, rather than the link to your photobucket page.
  5. MRMIKE08075

MRMIKE08075 Member

i have a pair of these revolvers...

both in 85%-90% NRA FINE condition...

one with POINTER PUP artificial plastic stag handles

one with rosewood panels (bought from numrich arms)

they are not COLT quality, but they were made by JP SAUER in GERMANY...

these are not badly made pot metal knock offs.

i paid $50.00 and $75.00 respectively...

in NRA FINE / NRA EXCELLANT they might bring $150.00-$195.00, the prices having risin with the gaining popularity of SASS and COWBOY ACTION SHOOTING...

certainly better than FIE or HERITAGE ARMS in quality...

i enjoy mine greatly, and they are alot of fun.

a little restoration and tinkering would raise the value and help with performance and function.

best regards, mike.
  6. SGVictor

SGVictor Member

7. SGVictor

SGVictor Member

8. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

This is my Herbert Schmidt
    Marked EIG Model E15
    DOM 1968

It shoots pretty good if you keep all the screws tight.
    Herbert Schmidt made these under a bunch of names amd model numbers
    I bought mine at a K-Mart in California no less. Guess those days are gone

Attached Files:

9. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

I believe the circled H makes your little .22 a Herbert Schmidt Model 21, imported by dozens of importers under dozens of names. Marshall was one , Bison was another. In the condition the gun is in now, the value would be in the 50 dollar range ( or less). In fact the little gun sounds dangerous in its working condition. good luck.
  10. gundark

gundark New Member

sounds dangerous? i'm kinda curious why you reason that, since all but one of the things "wrong" with it i listed were purely cosmetic, and the other one (hammer not always catching) just takes a little practice to figure out. i've fired it dozens of times in the past month, and only two, maybe three times did it not catch on the first try.

i've heard several different price ranges, but i have a feeling it'll be closer to your estimate than the near-$200 ones. guess i'll just eventually take it somewhere where they evaluate stuff like that and go from there. :)
  11. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

The pistol you have is a dangerous POS.
    I'll take $50 for mine pictured and it is in good working condition
  12. gundark

gundark New Member

please tell me why it's dangerous (nevermind that all guns are technically dangerous, heh). also, if i replaced that one non-standard screw, would you consider it in fair or good condition? if that's the case, does one screw make the difference between two or three levels of condition?

also, if you simply don't like this make/model/type of gun, please let me know so i can evaluate your posts more precisely. ;)
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2006
  13. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Thats not going to happen.

You have a stovebolt with a nut on it for hammer screw.
    The hammer is riding on the bolt threads
    The bolt can not be put back orignal because the hammer screw needs to screw into a hole tapped in the right side of the pot metal frame.

From your description it's out time and that is dangerous.