JP Sauer & Sohn .22 single action revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by darren63, May 13, 2008.

1. darren63

darren63 New Member

My father had this gun in the 60's...he passed in 1965. I was just curious what it might be worth, if anything.

On one side it says "Made in Western Germany by JP Sauer & Sohn" with some weird markings, and the number 64...I have photos but am having trouble getting them uploaded.

On the other side, "LA Western Six Shooter Model"

It also has the numbers A4697

I will try to get the photos on, or if anybody is interested, I can simply email them to you.

Thanks all.
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi darren.....welcome to TFF. :)

When the Ruger Single-Six came out in the late '50's, it became very popular, so a number of importers contracted with various German (and other) manufacturers such as Sauer, Rhom, etc. to make Single Six lookalikes.

Yours was probably imported by Hawes Firearms in Van Nuys, CA.

Generally, these Single Six copies were fairly inexpensive in their day, and have a Blue Book value of $75 to $150 (depending on condition), now.
  3. darren63

darren63 New Member

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it!
  4. billtyszko

billtyszko New Member

i looked at a j p saur&sohn western marshal 22 with a mag cylinder
    very nice with wood grip and brass strap seems they should be worth more
  5. darren63

darren63 New Member

I've asked around, and that's two folks who've told me that this should go in the 175 to 200 price range. Since I am far from knowledgeable in these things, I have to go with the experts. Anyway, it's kind of a cool little gun...the cylinder doesn't pop out, you just open the side and rotate it to load. Is that what they call a mag cylinder? Like I said, I'm like Schulz...I know NOTHing. : ) The action is still real smooth, considering it's at least 44 years old or so; it probably hasn't been fired in at least that long.
  6. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

No, not at all. These guns are scaled down copies of the old Colt Single Action Army revolver, and that's the way the old Colt worked. In order to eject the fired brass and reload it, the cylinder swings out to the side.

The .22 Magnum cartridge is a higher powered cartridge than the standard .22 rimfire Long Rifle cartridge and has slightly different dimensions than the .22 LR, so some of these revolvers came with a seperate, interchangeable, .22 Magnum cylinder.....so that you use the .22 LR cylinder to shoot that round, and replace it with the .22 Magnum cylinder when you wished to shoot that ammunition.
  7. slickshooter

slickshooter New Member

Go to gun auctions online the blue book is way off on price on these. Depending on finish and model they are selling for 195.00-300.00. a stainless model sold yesterday. for 295.00. I have one in 22 lr 22 mag and two of the 357/38 they are very well made and J P sauer is now SIG Sauer. If you have any ? Shoot me an email good day slickshooter
    Last edited: May 23, 2008
  8. tom264

tom264 New Member

do you still have this pistol? I had one years ago, and would like very much to buy from you if possible
  9. davemac

davemac New Member

tom264, i have one of these pistols handed down to me from my step-father a few yrs back...i have no picture but the weapon is in very good condition...the only thing i do not like about it is the grips are plastic...serial# A17662 i will sell it to you if you are interested...
  10. Danny

Danny Member

:)I also had one of these fine little buggers early in life before I started collecting the good stuff. Mine was a 8 shot nickle looking finish with ivory imitation grips, and was double action. Wish I had kept it now,very accurate. Now I have prewar and WW2 JP Sauer 38h pistols that are super.If Sauer had done what Walther and Mauser had done after the war they would be no Sig in front of that Sauer. They made beautifull pistols & shotguns for sure.
    Regards
    Danny
  11. nhammer

nhammer New Member

I too have one handed down by my father. Its in the gunsmith right now for repairs...we'll see how bad off it is. It hasn't been shot in 30 years I am sure. I'll attach a picture of it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  12. iwannasee

iwannasee New Member

Looks just like mine.

[​IMG]

Except mine has a little more wear.... Lots of fun to shoot though. Bought mine at a pawn shop for $100 w/ holster last month.
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  13. OHshooter

OHshooter New Member

I had one of these back in the late 60s and it was pretty much a piece of junk. After I had it for a while the barrel was so loose that if I took the ejector rod off of the side, I could unscrew the barrel by hand. I traded it off for something else and never regretted it.
  14. Eric&Kris

Eric&Kris New Member

Hi- My husband & I acquired a gun collection from his father and his father acquired the guns from his father. I have a gun that i am interested in finding out the worth for the purpose of insurance.
    Its a JP Sauer & Sohn Made in Western Germany, LA Western Six Shooter Model, .22LR Caliber The Serial number starts with an A33..! It also has 2 stamps one by the Serial number on the barrel and one that looks like a butterfly in a circle or a family crest (Cant really see much detail it is sooo small) need magnifying glass and cant find one. I have seen a couple on here and looked online but cant find one that has real pearl handle like mine. It wont let me download or paste a pic of it.
    Thank you
  15. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

The grips are nor real pearl, they are genuine faux pearl, or to put it another way, pretty plastic, Sauer did not put two hundred dollar grips on a 75 dollar gun.