The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jukar Rifle in .45 Parts?

25K views 39 replies 9 participants last post by  Dennis Carrara 
#1 ·
Howdy all,
I just came across a Jukar Spain .45 cal Black Powder Rifle... It's a kit rifle... some what completed, And I was looking to do it up right.
First and foremost... I need a couple of (I hope) simple parts. Im looking for the brass barrels that hold the ram rod.. some how I don't think its suppose to span 18-24 inches unsupported!
Second, If I try to make this "1800's" (I know the rifles are 1960-1980's) correct.. I presume a rust "brown or plumb" barrel... not hot tanked blue?

I see that these have little value in the real world, but I always thought it would be fun to make (or re-make) one of these muzzle loaders. Am I going to drive myself into a money pit trying to find the couple of parts that I need?

Thanks for your input guys.
Shawn

#27 ·
Well guys.. I found some barrel tenons, pins and the furrels! I stripped down the beat up finish on the barrel and did it up with the Laurel Mountain Forge Rust brown/blue. I left it brown! Im still debating if I take the brass off and polish it all up... I kinda like the tarnished look.
Its odd that with bright light the barrel looks red/brown.. but in "indoor" light it looks chocolate
Heres some pics of the barrel cleaned up with the sights and tenons on. If I buggered something up by this point.. let me know so I can correct any oopses!
And thank you for your input guys.

Attachments

#28 · (Edited)
Re: replicating "vintage" wood finishes

Well.. I just touched up the stock with 400 grit then 0000 steel wool... And doused the birch in Laurel Mountain Forge's Cherry stain... It looks like it took well. Some light spots, Ill probably hit it with a second light coat of stain in about 6 hours. then tomorrow afternoon seal it and still debating linseed oil or the accompanying finish that came with the stain. The linseed oil made my test piece (the ram rod) a bright red, where the accompanying finish has a milder (brown hint) to it. Ill get a pic up when the stain sets.

#33 ·

This was my results using home made stain out of walnut hulls and boiled linseed oil. Like Shooter I did repeated "de-wiskering" with a damp cloth and 600 paper. Many, many coats of hand rubber linseed oil resulted in a satin gloss that makes that wood look almost three dimensional in the sun. It really come to life. By hand rubbed I mean a very small dab of oil is rubbed into the wood with enough energy that heat, as much as the bare hand will stand, is generated. Takes a long time but that finish is now over ten years old and has held up great.

Attachments

#34 ·

Looks great! Now, I've seen two replies mentioning making a stain with walnut hulls and oil... What's with the hulls? Are they crushed, powdered, boiled and strained? You got my attention whith that. How can I do that?
Thanks, Shawn

#35 ·

Shawn it is not a big deal but when you are handling the black walnuts wear some gloves because they will not only stain you gun stock but anything else they come in contact with. I just collected some black walnuts that fell to the ground at the range. Knocked the hulls off the nuts and put them in a pot with some water and simmered them for an hour or so. Strained the mixture through some cheese cloth and put it in a glass bottle with cap and set it on the shelf for use. But be careful what pot you use so you don't stain up the wife favorite and watch out for spills or drips be cause this stuff is STAIN with capital letters. The walnut hull deteriorates fast after they fall to the ground so don't wait a long time to work with them because they can get nasty.

#38 ·
Its done!.. but to save me a head ache.. I posted the pics in another thread I started... similar to this one... replicating "vintage" wood finishes ...
Thanks for the support guys and gals!
Shawn

#40 · (Edited by Moderator)
Howdy all,
I just came across a Jukar Spain .45 cal Black Powder Rifle... It's a kit rifle... some what completed, And I was looking to do it up right.
First and foremost... I need a couple of (I hope) simple parts. Im looking for the brass barrels that hold the ram rod.. some how I don't think its suppose to span 18-24 inches unsupported!
Second, If I try to make this "1800's" (I know the rifles are 1960-1980's) correct.. I presume a rust "brown or plumb" barrel... not hot tanked blue?

I see that these have little value in the real world, but I always thought it would be fun to make (or re-make) one of these muzzle loaders. Am I going to drive myself into a money pit trying to find the couple of parts that I need?

Thanks for your input guys.
Shawn
I just joined. I have an old jukar. It has the parts you need if you still need them.

FORUM VIOLATION (offers to buy or sell are not allowed in the open forums) Send a PM

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.