The Firearms Forum banner

Jukar Spain .45 Cal. BP Pistol Info & Ram Rod Needed

18K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  aa1911 
#1 ·
Hello, I just bought a Jukar Spain .45 Cal. BP Pistol and I am in need of some information.

1. What size of percussion caps? The auctioneer said #11, but they will say anything to sell something.
2. How much Black Powder? From another thread I read 15 grains.
3. What size wadding/patch? From the same thread I read .010 or .015. But, which is better/safer.
4. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement Ram Rod? I emailed Dixie Guns and Bob's Gun Shop, but neither have returned me email as yet. I am willing to buy a junk parts gun.

#2 ·
#11 caps and I would use 25-30 grains of powder with a patched .440 round ball. A .010 patch should work fine but you might get better accuracy with a .015 patch but it will be harder to load and will probably require a short starter. Cleanup is with hot soapy water.

#3 ·
It will most likely take either a #10 or a #11. Only way to be sure is to try both and see which fits better. That kinda sucks 'cause a tin of caps runs five or six bucks, now.

How much powder? That depends on how much recoil you like. For a pistol, I'd start with 25 and see how I liked it. The original load with the 45 Colt pistol was 40 grans, and that was with a 255 grain bullet. A 45 round-ball (you use a .440 ball) only weighs 128 grains. You can increase the charge until you get it to do what you want it to do, or until the recoil gets too painful. At some point you will get to where all the powder is not being burnt. If you shoot over snow, or over a white sheet, you will see unburned powder laying on the white surface. That's how you know you've passed the "maximum charge" and are not just throwing money away.

For the wad, it's like the cap. Buy some of each and see which works the best with your gun.

#4 ·
Thanks for the help guys.

My #10 caps fit loosely and my .451 round balls fit half way into the barrel. Almost couldn't get it back out. Shouldn't the ball be tighter than that and a .440, or would that be too tight with a wad and too hard to push by hand? Also, Cabela's has no .440. Would it hurt to use the .454. BTW, I am using my gear from a .44 starter kit from Cabela's for the mentioned tests. I am brand new to black powder so you can give me as much info as you like.

Thanks again,
Jason

#5 ·
.454 won't fit. They are for 44 revolvers. A single shot, whether rifle or pistol, takes a different size per the caliber.

It's confusing, I know. But you need .440s.

#6 ·
Also, you don't use a "wad". You use a patch, and it is lubricated. They sell them "pre-lubed" and they sell them dry and you lube them yourself. I always used saliva. Just held the patch in my mouth until it was soaked, then loaded.

#8 ·
You can double patch with no problem or you can buy pillow ticking from Walmart or a fabric shop like Joanne's. #10 caps are tighter fitting than #11 but there is a difference between CCI and Remington and lot numbers are sometimes different. I would just pinch fit what you have. You get better accuracy with a tighter patch but they do load harder is why I said you might need a short starter. There is some velocity to be gained if its blowing unburned powder out the muzzle but it is a case of diminishing returns and less noticeable with a pistol than a rifle.

#9 ·
.440 round ball it is, that's the only size I use in mine; I just buy pillow ticking from a fabric store and cut it into roughly 1" squares or you could find a 1" round cork-bore to cut them out if you prefer round patches (no difference really). Use some form of lube, I use bear grease but TC's bore butter is pretty good stuff as are many other black powder lubes. I wouldn't go much bigger than that, a few thousandths isn't gonna hurt much but .440 will load the easiest and shoot good.

I normally use about 25 gns of 3F powder also.

Been a while since I shot mine, don't recall if it takes 10 or 11 caps as I use both in various boomsticks but one of them will fit best; if neither fits, you can always find a different nipple with a known cap size and replace it easy enough for cheap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.