Jury Duty

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by carver, Jul 19, 2012.

1. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I got called for Jury Duty this morning. I'm betting that I don't get picked! Been called up several times in the past, but have never been selected. Doubt it will happen this time either!
  2. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Well-Known Member

i have been called several times. every time i was called i had been off work for a really long time, and would just be starting back to work.
    i asked my employer to write the court a letter stating so.
    i was never picked
  3. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

I have been called up a few times. They never pick me as I am hard of hearing, really hard of hearing.
  4. JohnHenry

JohnHenry Well-Known Member

I've been called-up several times .... never been picked for a jury .
    I can't think of a single reason why *chuckle*
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I must be getting old! Jurry Duty was for yesterday! Since it is a Court Summons, I was afraid that I was in deep do-do! The lady told me that they had selected a Jury yesterday, and that I didn't have to serve, or worry about it! Duh!
  6. Sig Willy

Sig Willy Member

Same here. I had to submit a copy of my SSI approval letter to them.
  7. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

got called up twice in the last 2 years; I actually wanted to go out of curiosity but was going to be out of country in both cases so never got picked. Wife was also called up twice in the last 2-3 years but didn't have to go.

Then we have a friend who takes the extreme route to get out of jury duty; she's from NC and anytime she gets called up, she uses blatant racist remarks in the question/answers section. Amazingly, she's never been called up!
  8. time2shoot

time2shoot Well-Known Member

I used to work at the PEN. ANd so does my brother, sister, brother in law, sister in law , mother inlaw . they never pick me.
  9. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

It does work. I put down that I hoped I could be on a jury that would be working one of the many murders performed by illegal Mexicans where I used to live. I let them know I would like to see them rot in jail for their crimes like they deserved and haven't been called since.
  10. glens67

glens67 Well-Known Member

Last time I was called it was for a Drunk Driving case. I told them I was in law enforcement from 1975 till 1980. Also that I lost a girl friend to a drunk driver in 1974, at 8:00 in the morning, she was on her way to work as a School Teacher' head on on a blind corner. The Prosecutor impaneled me, I was the first chosen, 2 days later the Defender challenged me and was released, I wonder why?
  11. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I've been called 6 times over the years and selected 3 times.
  12. geds

geds New Member

Only called once. I thought I would be rejected as it was a rape case and, at the time, I was working for the power company, was (and still am) a white male, had a master's degree in a technical field, was a former fire fighter and paramedic, and was one of a only a few with college education. Instead, I was picked as the only male on the jury.

They called us back to the jury room where we sat for about 30 minutes while the defendant made a plea bargain once he saw the make up of the jury. The judge dismissed us and since we had been chosen for a jury, we were not eligible for any other cases, so we got to go home.

It was one of the most boring days of my life! I don't see how anyone can enjoy a career working in a court room!
  13. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

After getting stuck 2 times I didn't need any more. They were sending me a notice every year. They wanted me to go down to 26 and California in the city. I live 40 miles from there. I have no problem doing my duty but 4 times in 4 years.
  14. stumpjumper

stumpjumper Member

5 times called, never picked. guess defenders don't like my CG experience, or maybe the fact I come from a LE family. Or maybe it's because I point out that i was a victim of theft by a juvenile later convicted of rape and murder of a local girl.
  15. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
    Been called on twice in my life.

The first time I got out of it because I was deployed in Desert Storm.

Second time I ended up serving on the jury. Very interesting learning experience.