Just a little worried about my 9mm rounds

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Deacon_Man, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

Guys I'm a little worried about the .9mm rounds I loaded this morning. Non of the data I looked at agreed. I was using Unique powder for the first time, I know it is slow burning compared to Red Dot and Bullseye I have been using. My data sources showed from 5.8 grns to 6.3 grns so I chose to use 6.0 grns. The 9mm casings when charged almost filled up to .125 of the top of the case. Is that correct ?? My OAL data showed from 1.090 to 1.125 . I took a factory round and measured it and it was 1.155. Well I desided to go with 1.120 OAL. Why does there have to be such a variance in the load data? I loaded 100 rounds this morning. So my question is do I shoot them or not? Feel free to critisize or give me your blessing to shoot the ammo.
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Bullet?
  3. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

Sorry Alpo, I used 115 grn round nose FMJ.
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Lyman #47 says 115 jacketed, 4.4 to 5.8.

Alliant giveaway booklet says 115 FMJ 5.5 max.

9mm Loadmap gives max loads, depending on whose 115 FMJ you used (and it lists 16 different 115 grain bullets, some FMJ and some HP) thirteen 5.4 max, two 5.2 max and one 5.3 max.

Now, my Speer #12 says 5.2 to 6.3, but all my other books say that's waaay too damn hot.

Also my Loadmap says that 5.4 is a compressed load.

Me, personally, I'd not load anything over 5.2.

That's the reason why so many people recommend multiple manuals. I go with majority rule. With five saying max is 5.4 and one saying minimum is 5.6, I'd go with the five.
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Deacon Man, looks like that bullet puller might see some use!
  6. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

115gr Bullet.

Nosler #6, 6.1gr Max
    Sierra #5, 6.6gr Max
    Speer #13, 6.3gr Max
    Alliant Online data, 6.3gr Max

You are up there, but you are by no means going to blow up your pistol with a 115gr bullet with 6.0gr of Unique. I shoot 6.0gr with 115gr MG and it's about as high as I want to go.

Lecture time! :)
    Never load more than a couple rounds before testing. Pulling a few is no big deal, pulling a 100 is a pain.

Personally, I would shoot them and see how they perform, but that's just me I also run with scissors.
  7. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Lee manual says 5.1g start and 5.5 max.
    Lyman #49 says for 115gr JHP start 4.4 max 5.8
    Speer #14 says start 5.6 and max 6.3
    At least one manual says you are ok but I'd probably elect to pull them as they would be waay hot. Why risk anything? JMHO.
  8. TheGunClinger

I also concur with Steve.
  9. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

I'm going to take them to the indoor range. I wont use my Wather p38, but I do have a Taurus .9mm I think can handle a +p load if that is what I have made. Thanks for all the wisdom sharing.
  10. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

The problem with Lee data is that it is Not Lee data, it is copied from other sources as they do not test loads.

My issue with Lee data is simple, people look up data from a reliable tested source and then check the Lee Manuel. Yup it's identical, must be good to go. Problem is the Lee data was most likely copied from the original source, so the handloader is actually loading from a single source. Not recommended in my book.
  11. medalguy

medalguy Member

You should be good. I load and shoot lots of 9mm 115 gr jacketed bullets in front of 5.9 gr of Unique and it shoots fine, and it's the most accurate load for two of my Beretta pistols. Remember the load tables have been adjusted downward in the past couple of years I guess because of the lawyers. Look in a manual 10 years old and you'll find higher loads which we all used for years. I think they have incrased the safety margin quite a bit lately. If you're shooting these in a gun in good condition, I think you'll be fine.
  12. TheGunClinger

Thats why we use multiple manuals and sources.
  13. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Yup, and the Lee is not a source.
  14. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

If some one has the Layman's 49th look and see if thats not for the rifle data. I boxed mine up for the roof repair. But i do know thers a small section for the 9mm carbine rifles.
  15. Twicepop

Twicepop Active Member

What he said, I've used 5.8 grains of Unique and a 115 grain bullet as my standard load for a number of years with no problems. Be careful of your over-all length of a loaded cartridge, because of the limited internal capacity of the 9MM pressures go up rapidly when the bullets are seated to short.

those who beat their guns into plowshares, will plow for those who didn't
  16. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

They don't give a load for Unique in the rifle section for 9mm, they do have 4 loads but not unique.
  17. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Make sure you alos reference the difference in OAL. most often a lower max charge is also accompanied by a shorter OAL.

But again, as stated my many oabove john, the only thing youve done wrong is loaded 100 without first testing a few.. You live and learn..

I also agree with steve, your 6 gr charges prolly aint gonna blow up your taurus..
  18. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

Thanks!;) Could not remember off the top of my head if unique was listed or not.
  19. mikld

mikld Active Member

Just curious. Why did you not try the starting load, with a new powder and load? Why did you decide to seat to an OAL not suggested in your manual? My manuals are bullet specific for OAL.

The loads you find in most manuals are bullet specific. If you load a Hornady 115 gr. bullet, the load data will differ from a Speer 115 gr. bullet, and prolly those will differ from a Nosler 115 gr. bullet. Manufacturers will use a slightly different jacket alloy and the bullets will behave differently and slightly different shape, ogive/bearing surface, will have an effect on friction. If you choose to "go generic" or just reload a bullet by weight , use the lowest starting load (there's a reason they're called starting loads). The loads listed in your manuals are for safe, successful reloads for the components listed (including OAL). I'd say use common sense, load what your book says, at least until you have a few thousand rounds under your belt, and leave "experimenting" alone for a while.
  20. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

mikld, which manual do you have that lists OAL for Speer, Nosler, Sierra and Hornady 115 grain RNFMJ 9mms?