Just a precautionary hint for 4th of July safety.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 76Highboy, Jul 4, 2012.

1. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I just thought I would share something that some reloaders might not take into consideration.

I had the opportunity to meet a police officer that is on a bomb squad. He was fun to talk to and one thing he liked was to talk about blowing things up. I admit, I like to blow things up too. However, when he found out I reloaded my own ammo he gave me some advice that I was not aware of.

He said that people that reload ammo many times like to create home made explosives for fun especially on the 4th of July. What he warned me about was putting gun powder of any sort on a plastic bottle of any kind.

The reason is the plastic containers that gun powder comes in is a static free plastic and the threading on the container is a very course thread so if a granule of powder gets stuck in the groove of the thread it won't become abrasive and ignite. However, the thread on most commercially produced plastic containers are fine thread and create static when the lid is tightened on the container. Therefore if you get a granule of powder stuck in the thread of a soda pop bottle or anything of that nature it is a recipe for disaster. Unfortunately as anyone who has played with gun powder the exploding result is nothing like a firecracker, it is much more devistating.

I just thought I would share this piece of advice just in case someont thought to try making a home made firework show.

Everybody be safe and happy 4th of July.:patriotic:
  2. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

so is it ok if I have my brother light a bottle rocket and I try to shoot it with my 12g?
  3. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Well-Known Member

good advice!
    that is the reason you should plaster of paris, a tp tube, wax paper and cannon fuse:thud:;)
  4. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

Great advise! And if you are going to blow things up or even just light rockets or sparklers for that matter please watch the sparks. Its been real dry and fires have been popping up everywhere. Just like Trap lost part of his ranch to a fire last week from an accident.
  5. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

This is scary,,, we think too buch alike. :D
  6. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Years back a kid in our neighborhood decided to make his own boom-booms, blew most of his hand off, not good. :(

Pass the word on to kids, even big ones BE CAREFUL....better yet, don't do it!
  7. geds

geds New Member

I would like to echo Highboy's caution using plastic utensils on the 4th....I also recommend doubling the paper plates. Double napkins also help....

Who wastes time away from the BBQ and ice cream on the 4th?! :eek:
  8. armoredman

armoredman New Member

Since abusing my reloading supplies to make an explosive device is a violation of federal law, I think I will stick to buying the cheapie fireworks from an approved retailer up in town. Oh, wait, I still have the fireworks I bought two years ago, might as well set them off.