Just bought a Citadel compact

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Olympus, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I've been hearing great things regarding Armscor products so I decided to buy one for myself. I wanted to go with something different than the government size 1911. I have plenty of those. So I decided on the compact which is essentially a Colt Officer frame 1911 from Citadel. As I understand it, Citadel is the new brand name for RIA. I haven't had a chance to shoot this gun yet, but my first impression is that it looks to be a high quality little 1911. The fit on this thing is very tight. I'm not a fan of the parkerizing, so I'm thinking of having it refinished, either in a two-tone Duracoat configuration or having it totally reblued. Here are some pictures of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here it is dressed with a set of my box elder burl grips...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Hey there, nice pistol. I sold one to another forum member and he seems to like it. I shot it after I got it because I intended to customize it. The day after I shot it my supplier called me with the colt defender I was looking for, so I bought the colt and sold the Citidel. I really liked the citadels trigger and it performed flawlessly right out of the box. Let us know how yours does. I would consider buying another one.
  3. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I will be sure to provide a range report. Everyone who I have talked to said the same thing about theirs. I am really a Colt person, but I just can't afford to drop $800 to $1000 on an officer frame. I really like the officer size and want to really get a lot of use out one, so if I had a Colt, I'd be afraid of getting it knocked around. So for $475 for this one, I won't feel bad if it gets beat around. And if I decide to Duracoat it, then it shouldn't be a big deal anyway.
  4. Double D

Dang, 475.00 is a good price. I paid more than that with shipping and I am a dealer.
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Jealous ..
    thats nice

Armscor makes some outstanding weapons
  6. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I finally made it to the range today. I left having mixed feelings. I ran 50 rounds of cheap Blazer aluminum and 50 rounds of 15 year old ball ammo and everything went smoothly. No fte's or ftf's. The gun did shoot about about an 1 1/2 to 2 inches left, but I don't know if that was just me or the gun. I bought some hollowpoints too and tried to shoot a clip of those, but the gun wouldn't shoot a single one.

I put a full magazine in the gun and pressed the slide release and it wouldn't come close to chambering a round. I tried with the magazine not completely full and it still wouldn't. Then I thought I would leave the magazine out and just drop a single round in the chamber by hand. I did that and pressed the slide release and the slide wouldn't go fully into battery. Even a little bump on the back of the slide wouldn't make it go fully into battery. I tried the same thing with a few other bullets just in case, but it did the same thing.

So I'm a little let down because I bought the gun as a defensive pistol, but it won't even shoot hollowpoints. I ended up reading in the manual that Armscor states that the gun isn't even designed for flat nosed bullets and that a certified gunsmith would have modify the feed ramp in order to feed them correctly. I guess I just would have liked to have known that before I bought the gun.

This may be because the gun is still not really broken in, but it sends brass flying all kinds of places. Sometimes it throws cases totally forward, sometimes to the side, and sometimes straight back. I took a few cases in the face, but I had safety glasses on. I also took a few in the ear. They hit my left side ear muffs. After I got done shooting, I noticed that the front of the slide had some shiny spots where brass had hit the slide and took the finish off. I already have plans to Duracoat the gun, so that didn't bother me. But for someone who liked the finish the way it was, I would consider this to be a significant cosmetic flaw. Here are some pictures of the slide nicks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. mesinge2

mesinge2 Member

My Colt Defender won't chamber many hollow points either, so don't feel too bad.

I use Corbon Pow'r Ball ammo because it has a round nose profile and the polymer ball pushes the hollow point open under the reduced velocity achieved from the abreviated barrel.

I figure it has a 9mm velocity, a .40 S&W bullet weight, and a .45 ACP diameter. What's the down side?

.45 ACP+P 165 gr Glasser Pow'r Ball.jpg

.45 ACP+P 165 gr Glasser Pow'r Ball in Gelatin.jpg

Firearm was semi-automatic action with 3.8" barrel length

Shot 1 - Penetrated to 10.9". Average recovered diameter 0.659".

Shot 2 - Penetrated to 12.6". Average recovered diameter 0.687".

Shot 3 - Penetrated to 11.8". Average recovered diameter 0.698".

Shot 4 - Penetrated to 12.2". Average recovered diameter 0.668".

Shot 5 - Penetrated to 11.4". Average recovered diameter 0.684".

Average diameter = 0.679". Average penetration depth = 11.8"

gelatin test data from http://www.brassfetcher.com/.45ACP 165gr P Cor-Bon Pow'r Ball.html
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  8. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I am the other forum member that Double D sold the Citadel Compact too. He is correct in that I like it - actually he is wrong - I absolutely love it. It took a little getting used to the super light trigger on it but it shoots great. I haven't been out shooting since winter set in but If I remember right, I think mine shoots a little to the left,too. But hat could be the full size RIA that I bought. Dang, I will just have to shot both of them again to figure out which one it was.
  9. Double D

George, I dont think that citadel was shooting left. I could be wrong. Olympus, if its not feeding hollow points I am sure a little tweeking will take care of that. Mesinge2, my colt defender swallows anything I feed it. I would try polishing your feed ramp but powerball ammo is a good choice.
  10. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I wouldn't call my trigger pull light on mine. What I do really like about it is how crisp it breaks. There's no creep at all. But it is a little stiff for my liking. Maybe it just needs to be broken in a little more. It's been a while since I've bought a brand new pistol and had to break it in. :D
  11. graehaven

graehaven Active Member

Why would a company design a firearm that WON'T fire defensive ammo? That makes NO sense.

Thanks for the post. Making a note to NEVER buy one.
  12. Double D

Thats just a little closed minded in my opinion. Any firearm can refuse certain ammo, and usually there is a minor reason why. Just like the colt not feeding hollow points, mine feeds them well. So, it could be ONE gun that has this problem and again, it is probably an easy fix. So, if you make up your mind to never buy a gun based on one report, you will NEVER buy any gun since they all have some sort of flaw. Type in ANY gun on any forum and ask an opinion. You will ALWAYS get mixed reviews.
  13. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I've had people post who have the same gun and say that theirs feeds everything that can throw at it. I understand the frustration with "why can't mine be like that". But when the owners manual says that the gun isnt' designed for flat nosed bullets and will require work from a certified gunsmith in order to work properly, that changes things. Had I known that fact, I might have investigated other options more closely. Not saying that I wouldn't have still bought this gun, but I would have at least looked into this a little more. Most people buy officer frame/compact 1911s for defensive purposes.
  14. Double D

I dont consider a hollow point to be a flat nose bullet.
  15. mesinge2

mesinge2 Member

Double D, I figured it was something like that. However, the Pow'r balls work so well that I would probably carry them anyways so there is no reason to work on the gun. I have fired at least 250 of them with out a single jam.

And like I said above, the polymer ball pushes the hollow point open under the reduced velocity achieved from the short barrel.

Hornady says that their new Critical Defense ammo is innovative, but Corbon Glasser Pow'r ball has been out for years and accomplishes the same thing with a roundnose profile.
  16. Double D

I think you will find the power ball has more pressure than the hornady. They are pretty hot.
  17. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

hey double d what about a link to your shop?
  18. Double D

Sorry Beth. No website as of yet. I am a small operation, but am able to get just about anything. That is if my suppliers have it in stock.
  19. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

ok double d but think about a website?
  20. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I have the same issue with my RIA 1911-A1. Shoots a little to the left. All I ever feed through mine are FMJ 230's. I have put a couple hollowpoints in it. Have shot a couple semi-wadcutters in it. Everything feeds reliably. Just a bone stock 1911-A1. I also keep it very clean. I clean it nearly every trip to the range.

Olympus--

Once in awhile you get a "made on Friday" gun that doesn't work like it should. There are a number of people here who can vouch for that since they have owned and fired many, many more firearms than I ever have or ever will. I know because my buddy from work who I said has the Colt M1991A1 Officer's was having feed problems with his. First he thought it was mags. He sent it into Colt, they adjusted the extractor tension, and that fixed it. Just goes to show that it happens with any gun whether it's a $500 RIA, or a $1,000 Colt.

You get it with any gun, no matter if it's cheap or expensive. Just like a car. There are lemons with anything.

If ya having problems, I suggest just taking it to a gunsmith and having them look at it. Spending some money to get your gun fixed is worth it isn't it, especially if the gun is for home defense? I would certainly say so. A gun that doesn't work is just a piece of steel or polymer.

Oh hey, I also have a couple dings on my slide too, on the other side of the ejection port. I would suggest getting a blueing pen. It made mine much less visible. They aren't expensive either, so if it doesn't work, it isn't like you threw your life savings away.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2010