Just bought a Citadel compact

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Olympus, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

If the pistol was new in the box, did you clean and lube it before going to the range?? The slide rails looks dry in the picture.
  2. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Great point shooter. Although he did say he successfully fired other rounds.
  3. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Maybe he fired the other rounds first. :) Then the gun ran dry. We both know a proper cleaning and oiling is always necessary before taking any new firearm to the range.
  4. Double D

The more I look, it is dry as a bone.
  5. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I finished the Duracoat project this weekend. So far, my only complaint is the slide. I chose HK Black which is a semi-gloss color. The sheen actually makes it easier to see all the imperfections in the metal and the tool marks. It it just a little too glossy for my taste. But I'm going to wait and see how the durability is before I decide to change the color to a more flat black. I'm super pleased with the stainless steel color though. It looks really good. The HK Black was quiet a bit thicker and was harder to get to spray evenly. I didn't think I would need any reducer so I didn't buy it, but next time I will thin it down a little and it will spray more evenly. Here are some pictures...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. mesinge2

mesinge2 Member

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  7. mesinge2

mesinge2 Member

Is the stainless finish a cold blueing or paint?
    How does it work, the process?

I would love to do it to my Para GI Expert

Again, Great job
  8. Olympus

Olympus New Member

It's not a bluing. It's an epoxy based finish called Duracoat. The black is color HK Black and the silver is color Stainless Steel with a satin clear coat.

The Combat Elite is probably my favorite pistol of all time. It was my inspiration!
  9. mesinge2

mesinge2 Member

Is it hard to do?

I would love to finish my GI Expert's Frame in stainless like the frame on yours to make the same two tone look.
    View attachment 34319

Yours came out GREAT!
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  10. Olympus

Olympus New Member

It's not that difficult if you have the right equipment. I used a cheap airbrush from Harbor Freight, but if you plan on doing more than one gun, I would invest in a better HVLP sprayer. The main thing is to do the prep work exactly like they recommend. Take your time and everything will turn out fine.
  11. Double D

Well, it looks real good. I think a flat black would look better but it still looks good. I hope you get the kinks worked out. I think they are good little pistols.
  12. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Looks good to me to and I suspect some of your problem may have just been new gun tightenss and not stripping, cleaning and lubricating it before your session. A few hundred rounds of plain old hardball ammo should get the parts worn in right and by the way hollow points are not magic bullets. I have no problem using a hardball against a boogerman if it was him or me. That is still 230 grains and a big hole. Marksmanship counts more for effective shooting than a 'Gee Whizz' bullet no matter what the ads or the writing on the box says. Shoot what the gun likes whatever it is and you will be happier with its performance.
  13. Double D

I was looking to hear an update on this post to find out the end result. Anything new to report?
  14. big steve

big steve New Member

got yourself some nice equipment there
  15. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I haven't taken it to the range since I've done the Duracoating. I figured I would wait the 6 to 8 weeks it recommends for maximum curing time.
  16. ALR

ALR New Member

Olympus...Greetings.
    I went through the same exact ejection problems with my new Citadel CS in Nov. After reading about others on 1911 forum, I contacted Legacy Sports in Pahrump NV and was told to send it in for warranty. Got in a rush and sent trying to beat Christmas rush and sent in with slide off as instructed and left slide stop pin out and had tried to adjust extractor . Sent in expecting to buy pin and extractor, came back no charge and working good.
    I suggest you send in as is warranty, I had same ugly marks on slide and badly dented cases, ejected in face. Not fun.
    Its a new gun, send it in. Let me know if you need phone # , They are very helpful on phone and have an excellent gunsmith or two!
    By the way mine, and a lot of others shoot left too apparently, LOL
    Good Luck........Tony

Citadel M-1911
    Semi-Auto Pistol Repairs

Armscor Precision Int’l.
    150 North Smart Way,
    Pahrump, NV 89060
    Ph: 775-537-1444
    Fax: 775-537-1446
    Cell: 702-875-1201
  17. xpertz1

xpertz1 New Member

These short 1911's come with an Extended Ejector to get the brass out of the action quickly. I have had to adjust quite a few of them for this problem.
    It is actually an easy fix.
  18. Clipper

Clipper Member

I have the American Tactical Titan (stainless duplicate of the short Citadel) and it feeds well on HP's. I haven't tried wadcutters yet, got lots of hardball in lead and jacketed to burn up first.