Just bought a German K98k

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by bcj1755, Nov 26, 2008.

1. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

Well, I traded in my beloved Long Branch SMLE No4 Mk1* on a Mauser K98k today. It's been too hard to find affordable .303 around here :( . The K98k is an actual German-made, date stamped 1940, and factory coded "147" for J.P. Sauer and still has all the original Nazi markings. The barrel, reciever, and stock ( :eek: ) all match. The bolt does not have any stamped serial numbers (although it does have factory proof marks stamped on it), but does have electropencil numbers matching the barrel/reciever. The buttplate, trigger guard, floorplate, and forward barrel band have different serial numbers. It's missing the forward sight hood, but does have the cleaning rod. It might be a RC, but if it is, then someone stripped the shellac off of it and lightly stained the stock and also the bolt disassembly disc in the stock looks to have never been painted (or if it was, then someone spent some time and effort to remove the paint from it and the wood around it). All the metal has been reblued at some point, and whoever did it did an outstanding job as it looks exactly like the Tennifer coating on my Walther P99. The rifling in the barrel is the main reason why I jumped on it, though. It looks just as good as the rifling in my P99 (my P99 only has about 500 rounds through it and I bought the pistol brand new). It does have an import stamp under the barrel. If I had a digital camera, I'd post some pics. Now I just have to wait a couple three weeks to order some Romanian surplus 7.92 ammo from ammunitiontogo.com (alas, I have some bills that need to be paid :( ).
  2. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

The electropencil numbers give it away.

It's been in the hands of the Russians since WW2 and almost certainly was refinished by them. Many WW2 German guns have come onto the market in recent years, from P38s to MG34s and 42s. Mostly refinished and with those numbers added.

They were taken during the war, some in Russia and others in Eastern Europe and Germany itself. Who knows, perhaps you rifle was captured in the battles of Stalingrad or Kursk.
  3. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

Oh well, it's still in excellent shape with beautiful rifling, which it why i jumped on it. Some of the RCs I've seen have had really crappy rebluing jobs, but this one is great. As I was cleaning it, I noticed it looks like it hasn't been shot very much. Apparently, someone took really good care of it before me.

TranterUK, that's one of the things I'd actually like to find out is the history of the rifle. Find out who carried it, when/if it was captured, etc. That's one reason I like these old surplus rifles, because you can look at them and wonder what they've been through.
  4. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

You should be pleased then. You already have some information on your rifles history. I agree about finding out more about a particular gun. It can be interesting and there are often clues such as proof or acceptance stamps and even modifications typical of a particular army.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2008
  5. You have a nice rifle, bcj. The Mauser 98 is hard to beat and you won't have any problem getting ammo for it. How does the barrel look? Are the lands and grooves in good shape? You might also want to check the headspacing on the weapon before you fire it, though that is unlikely to be a problem with a 98.
  6. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

The lands and groves are all nice and sharp. Like I said, the rifling looks brand new. I'm planning on ordering some surplus Romanian ammo for it in a couple weeks. The gun store I got it from checks every firearm they sell for problems before they sell it. I've bought other weapons there before and have had no problems.

Now I just need to buy more firearms...hehehe.
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2008