just bought a springfield

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by JLA, Jul 22, 2007.

1. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Finally! i got me a springfield 1911-A1, having a bit of trouble finding a spare magazine or 2 for it though... its a full size parkerized 1911 with a whole list of modifications, the frame is hi-cap and it came with a stainless steel 14 rd magazine... to the best of my research, i think springfield XD45 14 rd mags are the same but i cant seem to find any ironclad proof to back my theory and since the factory replacements are a tad pricey i dont wanna just buy one only to have it not fit. and help is greatly appreciated, as this is my first true 1911 .45 experience. thanx
    JLA
  2. Mr.publicservant

Mr.publicservant New Member

try going to a store nearby that sells xd's and test fit, or call/email springfield and see what they say.
  3. KJHB

KJHB New Member

4. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member

Be very careful buying aftermarket mags as most of them are junk. Be sure to research the brand name and it may save you $$ and more problems. :)
  5. travihanson

travihanson New Member

I would only buy the factory mags for that. I have heard about other mags that people have tried in the springfields and they are /junk/. Try brandx.com, I haven't looked but they may have something. That is my new ebay :)
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

thanks guys, i have since found that XD mags wont work, mec-gar has one but it is a little 'sloppy' in the mag-well, i am waiting to hear back from springfield. the one that came with my gun is actually a wornout 13 rounder, which explains why i can get 14 in it, it doesnt jam, it just doesnt have the spring tension necessary to fully engage the slide stop. this pistol was customized by springfield for law enforcement use and has probably seen lots of loading and unloading of the magazine but hasnt been fired much at all.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! found that para p-14 mags are the same for all full size high capacity 1911 frames, even the cheap copies, as are the mag releases and the grip screws and grips... everything else is still the same as all full size govt. model parts... just thought you all would like to know:)
  8. stetson

stetson New Member

I have a hi cap Springfield pistol and I to looked at several places
    for cheaper alternatives than originals due to expense ;$60.
    I found para mags were $56 each which were down right highway robbery
    as I don't support a manufacturer that resides in Canada that's anti gun
    So I went to CDNN an I found alternatives for $36 each.The brand name escapes me as I purchased 10 rounders for 12.99 as that was good enough for my needs.
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2007