Just bought my first 1911

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by drunkdog, Mar 9, 2007.

1. drunkdog

drunkdog New Member

what kind of grouping should this gun be capable of shooting at 25 yards?

Attached Files:

2. kkramer673

kkramer673 New Member

Depends on who's shooting it.
  3. drunkdog

drunkdog New Member

ok, lets say shooting off a bench. i just want an idea of what to expect from this gun
  4. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

2 to 3 inches at 25 yards with good ammo and a machine rest.
  5. stash247

stash247 New Member

If the pistol is 'right', sub 2" groups are not at all out of the question.
    Expect, if you take Dwarren's suggestion of a machine rest, a shift in POI, relative to point of aim, due to the difference in recoil management; 6" or more lower is not unusual.
    If any wind, light, or other'conditions', exist on the range, a good shooter may group tighter than the machine rest, by compensating for them!
    If it won't give up 3" groups, at 25, consistantly, with good ammo, it's broke, and needs fixing.
    When you get it to your range, 'wrist rest' the pistol, in your hand, over a sandbag, under your wrist, with none of the gun touching anything but you; this will insure consistant recoil, and better groups.
    Waiting on a range report!
  6. drunkdog

drunkdog New Member

This was very helpfull information, i will try to get to the range tomorrow, thanks again.
  7. Sandhills Writer

Sandhills Writer New Member

;) I have its twin, and off a bench I can get 2-1/2 to 3 inches. Mine was a little tight when new but after 500 or so rounds is fine. I did install a true beaver tail grip safety. I did not care for the one that came with it, looks better in my mind now. JMHO:D
  8. travihanson

travihanson New Member

Christ.....So if I was to want accuracy I would not buy that......What would you guys recommend for cutting holes at 25 yds? Cause I'm now considering a Long Slide...
  9. stash247

stash247 New Member

Travi, 2 1/2" at 25 ain't bad for a production pistol, shooting factory ammo!
    Ed Brown, or Baer, will sell you a 'semi'production' gun, with a guarantee of that at 50 yards, if you are willing to spend the dollars, but you ought to anticipate a tag in the neighborhood of $2,000, for the real deal.
    Wilson, McCormick, and others will refine a bone stock production pistol to that level, for enough$$$, or build one from scrtch for a few dollars more.
    Even then, you can foul it all up, with a couple of cups of coffee, or a couple of sodas, before the match.
    I've been beaten many times by a guy with better gear, but, he would have likely beaten me just as badly, had he shot mine, and I, his.
    Accuracy and ammunition expense are usually parallel lines, on a graph!
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2007
  10. travihanson

travihanson New Member

Sorry...I am just used to knocking down shotgun shells at 100 yds with a ruger mk2 w/ a thompson center 2 power scope...
  11. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

The Springfield Trophy Match performs with the Colt Gold Cup.
  12. stash247

stash247 New Member

Shooter, if it don't shoot any better than a Gold Cup, send it back to be fixed!
    Now, the pre 'Gold Cup', National Match pistols were a different story, as each was built, soup to nuts, by one master builder, who stood behind his work, and made whatever repairs or adjustments, should the pistol come back to Colt, as I understand.
    The current Gold Cups are the best Colt has ever built, on a line, but they are no means the benchmark of bullseye shooters, rather a foundation, or baseline, for the really serious/ good shooters. Some will 'group', others still 'pattern', at 50.
    Travi, I have several High Standard pistols that will hit a shotgun shell, consistantly, with ammo they like, at 100, from a vise; that, I am not.
    On a really good day, shooting off the bench, wrist rest, I MAY go two, for ten, offhand, a single is a good day.
    Younger eyes, and better diet, may do more, but a three inch tall, 3/4 inch wide, target at a hundred is a challenge for most riflemen, offhand; Rimfire Silhouette results give ample advice on this.
    A short, fat, slow, pistol bullet is as dependent on judging of conditions, at 50, as a .308 Win is at 400, and this makes the shooter the deal!
    I shoot with a guy 25 years my senior, and I am 57, yet he waxes my behind, regularly, I asked a mutual friend what the secret was; he replied, "HE cheats! He burns 200 rds, seven days a week, eats right, doesn't smoke, drink, or even drink coffee; nothing but water, and runs up and down the stairs at Wilford Hall, 7 days a week."
    Some food for thought, for us all.
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2007
  13. Sandhills Writer

Sandhills Writer New Member

:rolleyes: Lets get apples to apples, I have Hi Standards, Brownings and others that are target pistols that shoot as good as you say you can, but, remember, the 1911 is a combat gun. If, you want a true target gun, be prepared to spend a lot more than you did on the SA. I do have three Wilsons, I can shoot them better than the SA, but, not as well as the test targets that came with them (one hole groups) You will never find a better handgun than a quality 1911, IMHO :D
  14. travihanson

travihanson New Member

I should add that I was shooting from a rest off my truck :) And I'm 21 years old....But I do not know what a diet would have to do with shooting ability...
  15. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Caffine makes you shakey and we don't need that when shooting competition. :)
  16. boticron

boticron New Member

New York State , United States of America
    Hey Drunkdog. I been shooting my modified Springfield 1911 for about 8 years now. At this point shooting that gun is second nature to me. I can easily score 3 inch groups weaver stance at 25 yards. From time to time I can attribute a fly away round or two to nerves (caffeine addict for life) Which is perfect for a combat pistol. it dose just what it was designed to do. But on a good day with real good ammo (federal gold medal being this guns favorite) I can surprise myself with groups as under 2 inch. but i often cannot repeat this on demand. Im just not that good a shooter.
    I would expect similar performance from your weapon as well. Were you planing on using it for competition? If so where you planning on any mods?