Just Checking In...........

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by muley, Jan 11, 2006.

1. muley

muley New Member

Just Checking In...........Part II

Hi Folks,
    I found this chance to check in on a friends computer. Hope everyone on the board is doing fine.Mrs muley and I are doing great down in the Arizona desert. I'm currently in Yuma, Az visiting a friend and recuperating from two weeks in the hospital....same old poomonia and old geezer crap. Heading back out to the diggings today or tomorrow.

I spent a few days visiting friends and relatives here and going to the old places where I grew up. Mostly the mountains. The Cargo Muchachos and Pilot Knob to the west, Chocolate Mountains and Picacho Peak to the north, Squaw Peak and Signal Hill mountains to the east and Mexico to the south.......and the Colorado River right through the middle where I learned to swim.
    Seems that only these are the same. He was right when he said, “You can't go home again”. Or words similar to that.......
    I also found that visiting most of my friends and relatives was easier then the last time I was here a few years back. They all seem to be centrally located. Mrs muley and I just made a day of it when we went to visit her folks and mine at the Desert Lawn Cemetery in Yuma.
    I had a little difficulty finding my great grandfather and great grandmother in the old part of the cemetery. The place has grown so.........

So, here's hoping everyone on the board is doing fine. Especially all the boys and girls over fighting for our freedom. GOD BLESS THEM......

I would send emails to some of you now, but my friend is wanting to go to Adair Park to shoot his new pistol this morning. I have to give him some instructions.....of course, he claims he knows all about it. I don't think so. Never mind that he has been shooting competative pistol for 40 years....he's still a kid.
    Talk to you later........
    Your friend,
    muley
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2006
  2. IShootBack

IShootBack Well-Known Member

It sounds like you are in a beautiful part of the country. Are you going to do any panning or detecting while you are visiting?
  3. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Hey Muley, thanks for checking in! Be sure to check in when you can, and let us know when you head back north.
  4. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

GREAT to hear from you.

Be careful when you are chasing Mrs muley around those sequoias NEKID.
    They can be quite prick-ly you know.

Friends and relative being “centrally located” is not always a good thing.

Take it easy, and check back in when you can.
  5. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Delighted to hear from you, Muley.

We have been worried about you and are glad you're okay.
  6. muley

muley New Member

Just thought I would pass along a couple of things that we did that might be interesting to some of you, my friends.

Mrs muley and I took the jeep north out of Yuma into the California desert where I grew up and spent so many years wandering with my dad hunting, fishing and prospecting for gold, uranium, silver, etc.

We drove to far away waterholes that few people visit judging by the tracks and camped in places where my dad and I had camped as much as 50+ years earlier. Mostly, we camped along the Colorado River and then drove south from there to my most favorite areas.

One water hole called “Painted Tanks” is so named because it has drawings on one area above the lower waterhole done by Indians years ago. The drawings were done in red. Paint made by crushing red ochre rock and mixing with water to make paint.

Anyway, back in 1956, my dad and I climbed upon the side of the wash above the waterhole and placed a brand new 1956 Jefferson nickel in a Prince Albert tobacco can in a hole under a large rock. He told me that this would be our “time capsule”. Being 16 years old, I thought he was crazy. But, being as how he was in the twilight of his life, 51, I forgave him.

I often went back to Painted Tanks to get a cool drink of water while hunting in years after that, but never took the time to climb up to see if the can and nickel were still there. Besides, the rock was roughly the size of Mrs muleys ass and would be a chore for one man to move........However, on this trip, I had made the mistake of telling Mrs muley the story of the nickel, all except the approximate size of the rock, of course, and she insisted upon trying to retrieve it.

So, on the last morning of our campout, we drove up the little wash to Painted Tanks, parked the jeep and walked the remaining 100 yards to the waterhole. It wasn't hard to remember where the rock was that covered the can and nickel. Things that important always stood out in my mind. With a little difficulty and from the uphill side, we rolled the rock out of the way.
    The Prince Albert can was right where my dad and I had left it 50 years ago. A little rusty, but in suprisingly good condition. If Mrs muley hadn't been there, I would have lost it right there on the hillside. I started remembering all the times my dad and I spent out in this country and all the time he spent trying to teach me to be a man.

Anyway, I had something else to say but this turned out to be too long a post. I'll save it for later.
    I'll check in some other time when my friend lets me come back and use his computer.

Right now, Mrs muley and I are heading out in the morning to go back to the diggings.
    Your friend,
    muley
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2006
  7. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Thanks for the story Muley. Memories are powerful things. I'm glad you have good memories of your dad, and glad Mrs Muley made you go looking for the can with the nickel.

Looking forward to hearing more about your adventures.
  8. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Great story Muley. Memories are a wonderful and powerful thing, especially the good ones. :)
  9. lead

lead Active Member

That's a great story. Thanks, and good luck to you.