Just Curious.....

Discussion in 'Disabled Hunters & Shooters Forum' started by dianalv, Aug 27, 2009.

1. dianalv

dianalv New Member

What disabilities do you have and what strategies do you use to continue hunting and shooting?
  2. Txquadhunter

Txquadhunter Member

I'm a C5-6 quad. I still use same stragies i did before my accident. I also have a hunting paartner some where near in case i need help. Just now trying to keep my power wheel chair and adaptive rifle rest quiet as well. I get dropped off as close as i can to my blind/hunting spot as i can earlier. thats because some uneven ground in my chair can be a PITA totravel over.
  3. dianalv

dianalv New Member

What does C5-6 quad mean?
  4. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I busted my back and knees pretty bad falling through a roof several years ago. I used to love getting to those hard to reach rocks a crevasses during a hunt, Like clibing up a small clif face to get above a game trail or the like. Noe I am not so agile and I have to take it easier on myself. I try to keep to easier terrain now. I had an incedent where I twisted wrong and spent 17 hours trying to make a 1.5 mile trip back to the truck after I twisted my back wrong and threw it out. I had no cell phone on my and very little survival gear and I was stuck in the apalachain mountains in early feburary. It was not a good trip for me. I learned a few good lessons that day. One was to keep the phone on me and make shure the batteries are charged on the GPS. Also learned that a small survival pack is a good thing to have on you at all times no matter how far you get away from your vehicle. Also its a good Idea to let some one know where you are goin to be. Which I did not do.
  5. Txquadhunter

Txquadhunter Member

C5-6 Quad = Quadriplegic I crushed my C4, 5 and 6th Vertibras in my neck. But my injury falls at the C5-6 levels. I'm paralyzed from my mid shoulders down, with limited movement in my arms.
  6. dianalv

dianalv New Member

Wow. I'm impressed you're still hunting!

Big Ugly, I learned years ago, through lessons hard won, that it pays to carry a pack with you at all times. I have a small day pack that goes with me everywhere and is always stocked and in my truck ready to go. I take a larger one with when I am hunting. I also carry a knife, emergency whistle and a striker and flint stick with a pitchwood handle attached to my person in case I get separated from my pack. I use it regularly to start fires in camp for the practice.

I've taken four professional survival classes and teach it on occasion. Survival is a state of mind and begins with the imagination and anticipation. Letting people know when and where you are, with an ETA and an ETR, is essential.
  7. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Years ago when I was younger and not so handsome I got caught in a blasting area and lost part of my hearing, now I use one of those amplifiers in one ear.
  8. dianalv

dianalv New Member

Do you raise llamas? Ever thought of camels for hunting/packing? I've kinda been investigating the idea of a Bactrian camel. They are large enough to pack me and a whole lot of dead critter, will kneel down to be loaded or to mount up, much better on the enviromment then a horse, don't require as much in the way of water or food on trips, and are less skittish than horses, making them safer to ride for people who can't sustain another head injury. Perfect for Northern Nevada and Washington state (the dry side) as they tolerate a wide range of temperatures. And their hair is very useful. Like cashmere. Females can be milked and their milk is more nutritional and (supposedly) better tasting than cow milk.

Downsides are they are expensive, rare in this country, have personalities like mules, it's hard to find camel trainers, or vets familiar with camels, and they require more attention than llamas or horses. Kinda like a dog. They need bonding and companionship. Also horses don't like them at first sight, so they can be disruptive to horseback riders if you meet them on the trail. And they are very large fully grown and tend to be dangerously playful if you don't train it out of them.
  9. rentalguy1

rentalguy1 Former Guest

I have spinal stenosis at L3-4, L4-5, and L5-S1. It has led to a incomplete foot drop on the right side and a numb lower right leg. On top of that, I have a torn meniscus and stretched PCL in the right knee. I haven't hunted in years, and I never was into big game. I used to hunt squirrels and run coon hounds when I was a teen, before going in the army and getting injured. There will be no more running hounds, as far as I can see, but I could still go squirrel hunting. I have to be real safety concious with everything I do now, as it is easy for me to get myself in a position that I can't physically get out of, and I have yet to learn my own limitations. This has led to me almost always having someone with me. This is especially true when I go to the shooting range. Honestly, that's the best bet for anyone; disabled or not.
  10. williamd

williamd New Member

Several after-market parts in my body and arthirtis limit movement and speed. So, I hunt slower (and better!), am careful about the terrain I go into, use a walking stick (actually an ice ax with a small head), keep cognizant of how I might have to get an animal to a trail or 4x4 road (no more high mountain muleys but Whitetail in the bottoms are more fun anyway, and no moose or elk unless I am with a lot of help). Gave away my big Kelty packs a few years ago. Hearing about gone ... but eyes good! After trying many hearing aids I got the ones from Cabela's, had them put into custom moulds and they beat any ... at about the same price as those from a audiologist. Carry a cellular that uses satellites and a small Garmin to backtrack though I have never had a problem with sense of direction ... well, there was that night in N Arkansas chasing fcoon hounds! Oh, that night in south TX chasing coon hounds. And, every time I go to Santa Fe! Otherwise, I know up is North.

20g bird guns and light weight rifles.

Recognize limits and hunt as I can. Probably has made me abetter hunter.
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  11. dianalv

dianalv New Member

That's another thing I have problems with. I used to have perfect orientation. Could find my way on the blackest night with no landmarks and still wind up where I needed to be. Now I get totally lost and turned around. My sense of direction got knocked out of me or scrambled.

What satellite phone do you use? How expensive is it? I've been looking at those tracking units you can wear that send out a signal so you can be found.
  12. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

rentalguy1, I also have drop foot on my right leg and have to wear a brace that's built into my shoe and I walk with forearm crutches, I can still get around enough to bust a squirrel or two. I use a sling to carry my rifle and a canvas shooting stool to sit on. You adapt and keep going.
  13. Txquadhunter

Txquadhunter Member

More Disabled hunters and shooters here than I thought.

Tom Militano said it best. You adapt and keep going!
  14. ninjatoth

ninjatoth Former Guest

I have OCD and depression.I have had these mental contitions since I was about 12 years old.I love to shoot and to hunt,but it took alot of battling the depression and getting healthy mentally before I could even think about owning firearms.I have been doing great lately,I take medication for the OCD,and I just this year got a few rifles and handguns,and just 2 weeks ago I completed hunters ed so I can go hunting whitetail alone.Mental issues are very well hidden,but sometimes are more destructive to a person than physical ones,so if you have mental illnesses,don't give up,you can be treated and re gain a normal lifestyle.
  15. ilovenxstage

ilovenxstage New Member

I have kidney failure and some eye impairment, but with corrective lenses, I can still shoot fairly well. My main issue as far as my disabilities and shooting goes, is my very low disability pay, which is barely enough to live on, let alone buy guns, ammo, accessories, etc. But, I make do with what I have.
  16. Mark Cline

Mark Cline New Member

what kind of vehicles do you guys use when you are hunting? Either to get there, or while you are out on the move thru the terrain.
  17. Rogo

Rogo New Member

Lets see:

1. I am diabetic
    2. Need glasses to see anything more than 50 feet away
    3. 70% hearing loss in both ears, can't afford hearing aids
    4. Have had my Aorta replaced from bottom of heart to groin
    5. Have survived Cancer on both Kidneys, so far. Surgery to remove it twice
    6. Vascular disease in left leg, can't walk more than 50 feet without pain

Not allowed by family to go hunting without someone close by to holler to and must carry cell phone just in case.

I am only 70 and refuse to give up hunting and shooting as long as I can move.
  18. hunterfisher

hunterfisher New Member

I'm a disabled vet. Had a major stroke due to multible trauma. Degenerative bone desease, one lung, and deepvain thrombosis. Deaf in one ear. Other than that,...I'm fine. I still hunt and fish on my own. It's still,'' A Good Life.''
    I thank the, Good Lord, everyday that I'm still here.
    God Bless.
  19. Lapua Kid

Lapua Kid New Member

I'm just a para T10 complete .I have 4 x4 Van and a good cell phone. I hunt by myself alot . I love groundhog hunting and Dove shooting. I shoot alot out in field and on range. I try not to allow my disabilities hender my enjoyment

Attached Files:

20. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Three fused discs in my neck. Five ruptured discs in my back. Do all my getting around with a four wheeler. No long distance treks any more. No big recoil,either. I'm almost ashamed to post anything, compared to some of the damage and courage reported here. i actually feel lucky. Good on you guy's!
    Last edited: May 19, 2011