Just Curious.....

Discussion in 'Disabled Hunters & Shooters Forum' started by dianalv, Aug 27, 2009.

1. pulltabbob

pulltabbob New Member

Wow, I am almost ashamed to say what I have wrong with me compared to most of you.

I have five herniated disc's in my lower back and one in my neck, I have had 42 colestiatoma's tumors removed from my head which has cost me my hearing, balance, and what not. I have mineires disease (Big balance problem), type II diabetic, Epileptic (without the seizures), Both knees are gone, I hear through a device called a BAHA (It is a bone anchored hearing aid. They drilled a hole in my skull and mounted a titanium stud behind my left ear. Mounted on it is a pick-up that vibrates through my skull). Use a Cain to keep me from hitting the ground ten times a day. I have 5 chemo shots in my skull every other Friday. I also have severe colitis. This causes about 20 trips to the restroom during the day. When I travel, it is hard to pass a restroom up. On a good day I take 61 pills a day and on a bad day, add another 20 or so.

I still thank my lucky stars that I can do as much as I do as there are many others that are worse off than me. I have no room to complain.
  2. RedHawk

RedHawk Former Guest

My only disability is my government and its getting harder to deal with!
  3. steve666

steve666 New Member

I have Wegner's Granulomatosis - an autoimmune disorder in which the body essentially attacks itself. As a result I have approximately 25-30% lung capacity. Since I don't breath too well, have to carry around an oxygen tank and havve to stop 2 or 3 times when I walk a block my hunting days are over. I still love to go to the range and shoot; though unless go to the indoor range at PopGuns, I have to go with a friend who will take care of the targets.
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    First, I want to congratulate you all on your diehard attitudes! As we get older we all start having physical problems, and I have my share too. My problems aren't as great as some of you have, but are still hard to deal with. I was in a motorcycle accident when I was young, and spent a year, and 15 days in a cast. The leg finally healed, but it is crocked. Never got complete use of it afterwards. The other leg I tore up playing sports in high school prior to the motorcycle accident, and again later in the U.S.A.F. That got me my Disability form the Military. My feet are the biggest problem though. I can't walk, or stand for more than a few minutes before they start hurting real bad. Arthritis in both feet due to very small bones! I hunt with a staff, and I always have my cell phone with me, though it's turned off. I am also a type 2 diabetic, and am hard of hearing. My hearing is bad enough that I will travel in circles unless I use a GPS device to keep me from getting lost. I don't hunt from tree stands anymore, but do use a ground blind. I thank God that I can still do some things that are important to me, and I pray for you all to have the things in life that you want. There won't be any disabilities in the next life!
  5. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

You all have courage to go hunting like you do, my hats off to you.I was injured when i fell at work into a small trench and ruptured my L3 and 3-4 -5 S1 discs and crushed a few more in the process OH WELL they gave me add a parts, back fusion last year so hunting is out the next couple of years and a cat scan showed a crack at S-1 so I'm going to need another surgery soon . Just remember the last was no fun so I'm waiting awhile. I cant take a rough or long drive anymore so I'm limited to whats close . That's why I'm fun shooting for now the boys take me out and i shoot till I need my meds and then I'm done for days. Once again my hats off to you that still hunt with your severe injuries. I hope I can hunt again too. Thank God for this site gives me something to do.
  6. SFC

SFC New Member

I was injured while serving in the Army going through my jungle warfare training, Injuries to both knees, shoulders, lower back, left wrist and left ankle. After a year of rehab I spent another 14 years in the Army in a non combat MOS. Was Honorably discharged at 15 years as a 100% disabled veteran. Still went to work for the DoD for 15 nmore years and finally forced into disability retirement. I still shoot and hunt from a wheel chair (power chair) and like mentioned above I always take someone with me when I hunt. In Arizona all licenses for hunting and fishing are free for disabled veterans and Arizonians 70 or older, although we still have to put in our names for the luck of the draw for a tag.
  7. rentalguy1

rentalguy1 Former Guest

Looks like we can add rheumatoid arthritis to my list (special thanks to all my ancestors!) It's attacking both hands and wrists, but the right is much worse than the left for now. It took less than six weeks for my middle and index fingers to "curve." Looks like they may have to pry my 1911 from my cold, yet still alive hand! At least this explains the Reynaud's Syndrome that I've been experiencing for a decade.
  8. herohog

herohog New Member

My issues started out as knees that kept dislocating ripping the tendons and ligaments. That was repaired by the VA on both knees leaving me able to walk but not run or kneel. By my early 20s I has bad arthritis in both knees.

Not being able to use the knees led to back issues. I now have several herniated disks that are impinging on the nerves causing me constant and unrelenting pain. The arthritis progressed into DDD, DJD and bursitis leaving me 100% disabled.

I am a 20% disabled vet for one service connected knee. I use a wheelchair whenever I go anywhere but I can still stand and walk a little although it does cause me pain that increases rapidly the longer I stand. The ONLY comfort I get is in a recliner.

I am a member of a local gun club and as long as things are wheelchair accessable, I am OK. I can't shoot long as even being in my wheelchair for long causes me pain but I can still do it and do when I can.

REAL glad I found this forum and am glad to meet you all!
  9. Az_gun_gal123*

Az_gun_gal123* New Member

arthritis in the spine & everywhere else. the glock 26? I can hit the target pretty well but...not enough strength left in my arms to not worry about the recoil. to solve this...small weights & lifting & lots of range time. it helps. my revolver is easier but not enough power if someone breaks in. easy - glock has more rounds & more power. At my age guys grouped together look @ me as a victim.( in Arizona, Mexicans) the glock on my hip stops this.
  10. Az_gun_gal123*

Got to say it. Thank you for your service to our dear country. small words, big meaning. know this - you & men like you have a piece of my heart & always will. thanks
  11. Az_gun_gal123*

I got the arthritis (or it got me) early in life. anyway - best advice is to keep moving. sounds silly but that & an anti-inflammitory helps, big time. Never give up - Never give in. I get all kinds of itchy (like in church) where I can't carry my weapon - go few times because of this. may go to a ankle holster. they get so....pc..& worried if they see a gun. most are elderly and Veterans. no way, do I want to upset them or cause them worry.
  12. flintlock

flintlock Active Member

Well, ruptured discs at L4 and L5, T2 and T3, loss of reflex in the left leg due to the bad discs, and sciatica in that leg to beat anything. The top end apparently sqeezes some nerve and gives you a pain like a heart attack when it feels like it. So now I mostly hunt from a ground stand, use lighter recoiling guns, and I swear by my shooting stick, it helps me get to my stand and it helps my shooting since it supports some of the weight of the rifle. It's like a telescoping camera monopod with a "y" shaped notch on top of it. Take your time, but keep moving, when you stop trying you're all through.
  13. herohog

herohog New Member

Hang in there flintlock! Glad you, like me, can still play a bit!